Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Fancy Guppies

Fancy Guppies

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:52 pm
Kaluden User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Well, as of yesterday I have approximately 20 fry guppies in my community tank, which puts a hold on my plans to put in a new substrate due to the fact that I do not wish to bury my new fish...

Since I have 4 different types of males in that tank and only 2 females, I cant wait to see what colors appear... the only thing is, I really wish I had some really nice really long finned and nicely colored guppies that I were breeding instead of petco quality that I bought with the purpose of only fully cycling and breaking in my tank... unfortunately I am attatched to guppies to some degree and they are part of my community tank plan. I will post some pictures of my oodles of babies sometime when i can actually get some decent ones. Only thing about this is, this is her second batch, the first batch is down to two, she kinda has a taste for her own babies... I do not have a tank to seperate them too as of yet... may have to work on that!

so on a side not. Does anyone have some really awesome fancy guppies that they breed? I am kind of looking for long fins, perferably in the blue, green, or bright orange variety. If you happen to have some that may have babies sometime semi soon, could you post pictures of the parents? maybe we can work something out?

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 am
ishrimps1 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Check with ( dougtpham ) he have a lots of guppy
Shrimps for sale phone
me if interested 651 686 9925

yellow, Green, Rainbow, Cherry, Snow ball

Selected breeding

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:47 am
paisleydals Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

You can always float a breeder trap or hang a net breeder on the side of your tank for the fry. They will do fine in there until they are large enough to avoid being eaten by the adults. It also helps to insure that they get enough food without becoming food.

Sue
Sign me -
Compulsive Hobbyist

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:41 pm
Kaluden User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I had a small breeder trap that the mother was in just before giving birth, put her in, put the top on, came back an hour later and the top was floating around with her outside the tank. I think I should name her either houdini or flipper... as near as I can tell she bashed herself into the top untill it opened then flipped out of it... this is the only explination I can come up with since that lid fits very snuggly.

I do not have a trap large enough for the amount of fry that I have though, with the trap and that many fry they would be very very crowded... honestly, I am possibly just going to go the way I went with the others. "survival of the fittest/sneakiest"

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 pm
mnhop2 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I almost always find my guppy fry alive and well in my floating java moss mat.. Even with them being in a community tank of Angels, tetras and the like.. Some do survive in the Java Moss. Currently my fry nursery is a large clear plactic container with sponge filter and cover on it (to keep the cat from using it as a water dish).. with Java Moss in it. No heater ... fry are doing fine in room tempserature. Good luck with the fry! On the hunt for Half Black Yellows myself!
Sheri in MN
mnhop2@yahoo.com OR mnhop2@comcast.net
Holland Lops & a variety of fish, I'll drown from a hairball.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:37 pm
Kaluden User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

ok, a little update.

I now have so many baby guppies in my tank that I honestly can not have hopes of counting them, I just looked in my tank when I got home and the wife was concerned when she just heard a loud "HOLY CRAP".

umm, since I dont have my goldfish in the tank, babies do not appear to be disappearing... wonder if stores will give me credit for these things when the grow...

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 pm
mnhop2 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Last time I said Holy Crap at my Guppy tank.. the frog got Guppy for dinner... as did every other live food eating fish I own..LOL Seriously.. had to weed em out and down a bit.. then came down to who was prettiest... Sometimes ya gotta step in and thin em out a little.
Sheri in MN

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 pm
Kaluden User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I don't have any fish that eat live food really, or anything else for that matter, closest I have is cats... and that would probably be slightly cruel... thats my problem, I really have no idea what to do when I "cull the herd" as it were.

I dunno, I could let a fish eat other fish, but I however can not just like, flush a live fish, or toss it in the garbage disposal or something. A little help on this would be fantastic!

Maybe I should get some piranha's again...

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm
mnhop2 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Send em over.. scoop at a time.. I have a community tank that will thin em out for ya.. and then there is the clawed frog...she treats them like a game....her favorite game.
Sheri in MN

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 am
Andi User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Another idea is to give them away to kids to get them hooked on the hobby. That's what I do. It's a heck of a lot of fun!

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:43 pm
paisleydals Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Andi wrote:
Another idea is to give them away to kids to get them hooked on the hobby. That's what I do. It's a heck of a lot of fun!

THat's what I did when I had a lot of extra Betta youngsters. Posted some ads for Bettas and gave them to kids as well as folks at the DOT building. A whole lot of folks get hooked on the hobby with some freebie bettas or guppies. Including me. :wink:

Sue
Sign me -
Compulsive Hobbyist

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:23 am
Betta333 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Hurry for me,

I finally got a nice sized spawn from my albino platinum gold guppies. I have about a dozen or so fry swimming in a 10 gallon tank to themselves after mother and daughter gave birth last night and today.

Last few batches have been lost due to my neglegence (sp?).

The batch that I did have live the first time produced 2 males and 1 female. So now I have 3 males and 2 females. So hopefully I can get some more to be able to spread some around. They are a little harder than your typical fancy guppy, I think because of the albino trait. They are born really small and tend to be eaten quickly by others (even with feeding the adults 3x a day like I tried).

I will try to get an updated picture of them soon, the female is really looking nice with great finnage. My males are a little tattered right now due to fighting amongst themselves. Might have to isolate one for the show though. We'll see.
Texel and Peruvian Cavies
www.freewebs.com/christysprettypiggies

~Christy~

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:07 am
mnhop2 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Congrats Christy! Only new livebearers around here are the Mickey Mouse Platies... They managed to drop a good sized spawn in my community tank. They must have done it in the Java Moss mass I have hung on a piece of floating driftwood..otherwise they all would have been snacks. Managed to catch and separate about 2 dozen of the little buggers...I don't get platy fry to live very often.. as they usually get eaten. How are the Mosaics doing?
Sheri in MN

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 pm
Bubbles User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Very nice!!
Maybe we can see them in the show :D

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 am
Betta333 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Yes they will probably be there along with my swordtails.

I did bring them to the bowl show in Oct 2007 and they won 3rd place, but they have grown since then and have a bit more color/shine to them.
Texel and Peruvian Cavies
www.freewebs.com/christysprettypiggies

~Christy~

Return to Livebearers and Killifish