Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition I must have eaten some bad worms

I must have eaten some bad worms

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:47 pm
Kolopedo User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

Has anyone else had bad luck with the bloodworms from MAS?? The last 2 months my bloodworms havn't lasted more than 5 days before going bad...I am doing nothing differet from before, yet they turn into a discusting brown slime. I change the water daily (cold tap water, as I've always done). I'm seriously considering not buying anymore, even though they really, REALLY get the fish in the mood for love!!
-Tom C.

. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:24 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
Has anyone else had bad luck with the bloodworms from MAS?? The last 2 months my bloodworms havn't lasted more than 5 days before going bad...

I don't think this months worms were quite as good as last months, but last months were exceptional. They kept for almost the whole month without problems before I ran out. This months worms are good too. It's just they had a little more 'junk' included along with the worms. Last months were very clean.

The worms I've been getting at the MAS meetings are better than most that I've had sent directly to my house. The are a HUGE improvement as to what we can sometimes buy locally. I've bought them at the MAS maybe six times without problems.

Though it's been cold the last two months, you know you're not supposed to put them on the car defrost vent on the way home - right?! :D

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:34 pm
paisleydals Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
Has anyone else had bad luck with the bloodworms from MAS?? The last 2 months my bloodworms havn't lasted more than 5 days before going bad...I am doing nothing differet from before, yet they turn into a discusting brown slime. I change the water daily (cold tap water, as I've always done). I'm seriously considering not buying anymore, even though they really, REALLY get the fish in the mood for love!!

Heh heh. Maybe it's the water. :wink:

Mine look "really good" (for black worms!), a bit of junk but nothing serious. Worms are in really good condition. I'm using a worm keeper for the first time - usually just use plastic boxes.

Sue
Sign me -
Compulsive Hobbyist

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:15 am
Kolopedo User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

Like I said before....I've changed nothing in my routine, yet I just flushed about 1/4 lb of worm slime down the toilet. Do you guys use dechlorinated water??? Maybe my water has changed?? I agree Ken that they are usually exceptional, but something has changed here that is killing them!
-Tom C.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:53 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
Do you guys use dechlorinated water??? Maybe my water has changed?? I agree Ken that they are usually exceptional, but something has changed here that is killing them!

My routine:
Get home from MAS meeting dead tired with bag o' worms in hand.
Throw the unopened worm bag into the worms/fishfood/beer basement refrigerator as is.
Fill up a pitcher of water from the tap and put it in refrigerator with worms.
Go to bed.
When I get home from work the next day, open the worm bag and dump the worms in the worm keeper.
Rinse worms with water from the pitcher.
Refill pitcher from the tap for the next days rinse. Put it back in the refrigerator.
Feed the worms to the fish. Put them back in the refigerator.
Repeat daily until the worms are gone
KenB

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:40 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
Has anyone else had bad luck with the bloodworms from MAS!!

Tom, these are California blackworms.
Craig is purchasing the worms from this site http://aquaticfoods.com/freesamples.html
I do not think MAS is making any money off the sale of these worms vs Tom G selling dry food where MAS does pick up a little money. Thus Craig R. is ordering and bringing these worms as a service to his fellow members.

In regards to care, the first few times I kept the worms in the bag but performed DAILEY water changes on the worms. Yes, the water has chlorine it it. I turn tap on until the water becames COLD and then rinse. That is I drained the bag, filled it with water and drain it again until water runs clear as if water from tap not the bag. I found it is much easier to do this with a worm keeper then using the plastic bag.
The refrigerator the worms are stored in forms a layer of ice on top of the worm keeper.
When the worms go bad which is rare, a white milky substance appears in their midst. Seperating the worms into more worm keepers seems to help prevent this from occurring.

That bit about blackworms causing breeding is right on.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:43 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
but something has changed here that is killing them!

Are you keeping the worms in same refrigerator that Ms. Kolopedo is keeping the family food in :? :? :?
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:48 pm
Anchor User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I had been having a huge amount of chlorine in the water here.. I started using the water from the outflow of my RO unit and have had no problems unless I forget to rinse em for a day..

I have had perfect worms for the last 2 months because of this. The RO outflow goes through the sediment filters and the Carbon block.. If I remember to rinse the worms every day, the water is clear every day.. No noticable worm loss.

I take about a quarter of my half pound and put em in one of those 10 gallon rubbermaid containers you get from Menards for a couple bucks.. it has a small pump in there.. I change th3 water on it maybe once per week. I have been running this for 4 months now and it never suffers loss even at room temp.

I have yet to use any out of this container.. It is in case my other rinsed stuff has a problem.. I have about a half pound in the buckt now.. I feed it a crumbles up Goldfish stick or two every couple of days.

Anchor

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:59 pm
paisleydals Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I just use straight tap water, running it until it is really cold. I was told when dealing with icky things like worms, that "chlorine is our friend". :lol:

Sue
Sign me -
Compulsive Hobbyist

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:16 pm
Kolopedo User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

Thanks for the information guys...I wasn't knocking anyone....I know that Craig doesn't make any money on these and i do appreciate that he offers them to the club. My consern was the sudden change for me. Going from lasting all month, to 4 or 5 days with no changes in my routine. I think that it's time to buy a couple of keepers and split the 1/2 pound into quarters.

Thanks again for the input!
-Tom C.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:27 pm
BobC User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

The worm keepers are worth their weight in gold - or at least black worms.

I had trouble keeping worms beyond 2 weeks before worm keepers. Even with daily rinsing and cleaning.

I too rinse daily with cold water straight from the tap. No treating, no pre-chilling just cold (let it run for a bit first) tap water.

Now that I've got worm keepers, I have worms left from November yet that look just as healthy as the worms I just got in December. And the worms from November went the first weekend (fri, sat) with out rinsing (was at WAKO) and then again at Thanksgiving (wed, thurs, fri) with out rinsing either. I haven't lost any worms yet from the Nov or Dec batch.

The moral of the story. Get to worm keepers.
Bob Carter

MAS, AKA, MKKA, WAKO

Show your fish - enter a show!!! Bowl Shows monthly at MAS meetings.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:51 pm
sosnarfy User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I've gone to keeping them in a cool area, changing their water daily with cold tap water. I have a worm keeper, but unfortunately both refrigerators we have will freeze the worms... This last batch has kept the longest for me soley for that reason! I've never had a batch of worms survive this long. I was freezing them right away after I got them since they'd freeze in the worm keeper anyways.
~D

I miss my fish.

Return to Foods and Nutrition