Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video Pleco breeding

Pleco breeding

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm
btn Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

L398- Panaqolus tankei
Finally had some success breeding these fancy plecos! Not the most colorful, but still really nice looking. I have been watching the behavior and the females are always caved up, but they are in the smallest caves so I couldn't see past them to see if they ever had eggs.
Attachments
pleco22 (2).jpg
pleco22 (2).jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 731 times
pleco33 (2).jpg
pleco33 (2).jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 731 times
pleco44.jpg
pleco44.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Pleco 1 (2).jpg

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 am
meck3427 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Congrats, anything other than bushy nose is a great accomplishment. I have the L397 Panaqolus getting close to breeding size, Males are starting to spend more time in the caves, tails out. Would you share your water perimeters? I've got mine around 7.2 pH and 80 degrees, with soft R/O water and a lot of drift wood.

Post Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 pm
btn Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Good luck, the L397's are pretty, mine are the bland version.

I have 6 adults in a 29 gallon, with a sponge filter and aquaclear 70, so quite a bit of water movement. I have 8 caves and a coconut hut. I do have a decent amount and variety of driftwood in the tank.

Two males are always in the smallest caves, the size you would use for small/medium bristlenose, the third is always in the coconut shell/hut. I was actually debating taking out the smallest caves, I wasn't sure the female would be able to fit it, even shining a flashlight, I could never see if there were eggs/fry inside. I have never seen a female in with a male or mating, but two of the females stay really close to the caved up males. Annoyingly, I don't even know which pleco and cave the fry were from.

Temp is right around 81 degrees, I typically don't pay attention to p.h, but I checked it with a test strip and it is right around 6.8, maybe a bit under. I watch TDS quite a bit, it started out higher around 250-260, but with water changes I have been slowly dropping it down over several months. Currently my TDS is 190. When I do water changes, I have been doing maybe 40% with cooler water, nothing large, but enough to drop the whole tank just a few degrees.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see a picture of the setup.
- Brian

Post Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 pm
meck3427 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks Brian, appreciate the info. Would love to see a photo of your set up.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:43 am
btn Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

The setup is nothing special. Several types of wood. The two caved up males are in the two caves on the far left, the third prefers the coconut hut on the right. Right above the caves on the left you can see one of the females, two of them always hang out on the wood right around the front of the caves.

They move the sand around quite a bit. I regularly have to dump sand out of the caves in the middle.

My plants are a mess and still a work in progress. I just want something to help with nitrates. Anything planted in the sand gets uprooted over night. I haven't had success with floaters due to the water flow. I recently added some wisteria, with their roots going through a loop connected to a suction cup on the right side of the tank, helps keep it in place. Any suggestion on plants would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Pleco setup (3).jpg

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:53 pm
meck3427 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Setup looks great. I need to get some coconut shells. You make that yourself or buy it pre-drilled? Been looking for coconuts in the stores and can't find them.

For plants, I use anubias in almost all my tanks. All the different plecos leave them alone. Some tanks have floaters to cut down the amount of light and absorb some nitrates.

Thanks again for the super reds, they're settled into a 30 where they will grow out to breading size

Return to Photography & Video