Board index Fish Talk Community Fish arowana community tank

arowana community tank

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 am
scottv User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Yeah that 2 feet wide depth makes a world of difference. I hardly ever see 180 gallon tanks at the LFS but always see 210-240 gallon ones at FLP. 125 may work for 1-2 years.
I love Amphilophus

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:57 am
Phewy User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Start with silver aros just because they are cheaper then jardinis, blacks, and leichartis. Get them around 4-6inches they are hardier then. I've seen silver aros fight but that was because the tank was to small. I've gone through lots of silvers not something to brag about but lessons learned. From experience I can tell you get an oversized tank to grow out so they don't feel cramped and fight causing them to jump to avoid aggressor. Over filter your tank I have 3 filters on my 120fb with my jardini (an emperor 400, eheim 2028, and xp3), its not necessarily clean water which helps but good filtration and tank fully cycled otherwise they will get fin rot and water changes will not help but only make it worst. so make sure the tank is completely cycled. I dont do water changes as much as i should on my jardini tank which sometimes goes 3-4 weeks with no water changes and he does fine. Make sure you block every open spot in the top so they have no space to jump out. doesnt have to be complete covered but that is not a bad idea. with a 125 you'll have about 1.5 years before you need to upgrade to a bigger tank. the fatboys are nice since they are deeper but my jardini is starting to look like he is cramped since he is close to 18inches. It is your choice to build a tank but to sleep well and be out of the house with a sound mind i would put the money towards a big tank be it customized or manufactured. also its tougher to sell them when they are 18 some inches because by then most people will not have the space for them and the few who do are either already keeping aros or other monster fish and dont have room so if you are serious then be in it for the long haul. i've kept silvers with my jardini and he never beat any of my silvers up even though the silvers were half his size but you must have a big tank and hope the jardini's temper is mild which my guy is but recently he just beat up my silver for the first time and it was bad enough to kill him but i assume it was because the tank is to small for them both. I would say a 180 will have the right footprint to house 2-3 silvers for most of their life because they dont grow as fast after they hit 20 some inches but if fed correctly they can grow from 6inches to 18 inches within 6 some months with mine did. silvers do grow faster then jardinis also. A big thing with silvers are that they get eye drop with the different things i've tried I've never had one that did not have eye drop. frequent water changes and only feeding them pellets did not do anything to help prevent it. personally what i would try next is get a wild silver and see if it gets eye drop since they say a possiblity is weak genetics from captive bred ones. but otherwise hope and pray that yours dont get it. but good luck sorry for the novel. but i love my jardini and wouldnt trade him for anything else at the moment.

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 pm
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I would build a 4x8 ft pond for the arowana and put a stingray in it. Much cheaper than buying a tank of that size.

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:41 pm
VANG Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

1-2ride wrote:
I would build a 4x8 ft pond for the arowana and put a stingray in it. Much cheaper than buying a tank of that size.

what about the winter time
Need a bigger tank

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm
VANG Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Phewy wrote:
Start with silver aros just because they are cheaper then jardinis, blacks, and leichartis. Get them around 4-6inches they are hardier then. I've seen silver aros fight but that was because the tank was to small. I've gone through lots of silvers not something to brag about but lessons learned. From experience I can tell you get an oversized tank to grow out so they don't feel cramped and fight causing them to jump to avoid aggressor. Over filter your tank I have 3 filters on my 120fb with my jardini (an emperor 400, eheim 2028, and xp3), its not necessarily clean water which helps but good filtration and tank fully cycled otherwise they will get fin rot and water changes will not help but only make it worst. so make sure the tank is completely cycled. I dont do water changes as much as i should on my jardini tank which sometimes goes 3-4 weeks with no water changes and he does fine. Make sure you block every open spot in the top so they have no space to jump out. doesnt have to be complete covered but that is not a bad idea. with a 125 you'll have about 1.5 years before you need to upgrade to a bigger tank. the fatboys are nice since they are deeper but my jardini is starting to look like he is cramped since he is close to 18inches. It is your choice to build a tank but to sleep well and be out of the house with a sound mind i would put the money towards a big tank be it customized or manufactured. also its tougher to sell them when they are 18 some inches because by then most people will not have the space for them and the few who do are either already keeping aros or other monster fish and dont have room so if you are serious then be in it for the long haul. i've kept silvers with my jardini and he never beat any of my silvers up even though the silvers were half his size but you must have a big tank and hope the jardini's temper is mild which my guy is but recently he just beat up my silver for the first time and it was bad enough to kill him but i assume it was because the tank is to small for them both. I would say a 180 will have the right footprint to house 2-3 silvers for most of their life because they dont grow as fast after they hit 20 some inches but if fed correctly they can grow from 6inches to 18 inches within 6 some months with mine did. silvers do grow faster then jardinis also. A big thing with silvers are that they get eye drop with the different things i've tried I've never had one that did not have eye drop. frequent water changes and only feeding them pellets did not do anything to help prevent it. personally what i would try next is get a wild silver and see if it gets eye drop since they say a possiblity is weak genetics from captive bred ones. but otherwise hope and pray that yours dont get it. but good luck sorry for the novel. but i love my jardini and wouldnt trade him for anything else at the moment.

idk about silver just like jardini more because most silver have drop eye n i have a sump for my aro n a pump so u think thats enough
Need a bigger tank

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 pm
scottv User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Build the pond in your basement or garage lol. I don't feel it's worth it to have arowana and sting rays only to see them from a top view from a cheap outdoor diy pond with a liner, esp in Minnesota. (If we were in Florida or something, I'd love a pond like this guy's though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzNOTKW0jJU ) Jardini usually can't be kept with many fish in tanks under 300 gallons. Just large catfish only.
I love Amphilophus

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:24 am
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

1-2ride wrote:

indoor pond.

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 pm
sbuse User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Phewy wrote:

You have some good info here. Just a few things that I note as not correct. Silver aros will out grow a 125 before 1.5 years. I have had silvers go from 3" fish into 24" fish in 10 months. A 180gal is ok for a few years. Once an aro reaches 24" it should be upgraded. Average that is withing their first 2 years. If properly cared for it shouldn't be longer then 1.5 years to hit 2'. Also drop eye is more directly linked to head trauma. There is no known cure for it, and genetics play a small role in it.
S and L Aquatics

Quality fish at affordable prices!

http://www.sandlaquatics.com

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm
lorky User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Key is keeping everyone well fed and happy.

I've kept Arows, Aropaima, Knives, Gars, Dats, Basses, Rays, New World Cichlids.
Just make sure you know the temperament of each fish and size compatibility. Be sure that one doesn't fit in another's mouth is a start. Guaranteed one will outgrow another.
Master automotive mechanic whenever I want to be. Lube tech is what I prefer to be.

Previous

Return to Community Fish