Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Black Worms

Black Worms

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:41 pm
dougtpham User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I went to Har Mar Pets last night and purchase $2 worth of black worms. Since I have not really use them before, what's the best way to maintain them? I am planning to buy a worm keeper when I see one next. The worms are currently in the original bag w/ some air in it and minimal water. I did put in a small amount of aged water in the refigerator yesterday so I can use that to wash them out today. Should I move the worms to a cup or leaving them in the bag is fine? How much cleaning and how do you clean them? I am planning cleaning them daily but the how is what I need help on :-)

Thanks,
Doug

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:00 pm
mjproost Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Its my first time keepeing them, but I have kept them since the May meeting. Thanks to Bob R., the worms and my fish are doing fine. Apparently it is not so good to feed blackworms to certain types of fish 4-5 times a week. ooops! The worms won't drown, they don't carry diseases and various other pieces of BS I read about them on the APD.

A worm keeper would make it easier, but this way seems to work just fine. I put the pound I got in a plastic shoebox(per Bob C.'s suggestion) with about 1-2" of water. I just use chlorinated water right from the tap. I got a fine fish net. It is the brand that's blue. Every day I turn the tap on and wait for it to get as cold as possible and run some into the box stirring up and rinsing the worms in the box. Then, I dump the worms into the net. Rinse the box really well, and fill with about 1" or 2" of water. Next, I rinse the worms in the net really well and dump them back in the box. Then, I feed them to my fish with a small fork right from the box. I still have well over 1/4# left and i don't think they are dying. I guess the key is rinse them well every day and store them as close to 32 degrees as possible.

HTH

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:11 pm
dougtpham User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

That sounds good Matt. Since I only bought a small portion, a small plastic yogurt container should do the trick. Tap water for some live creatures? That is amazing :-)

Thanks
Doug

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:09 pm
paisleydals Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

dougtpham wrote:
That sounds good Matt. Since I only bought a small portion, a small plastic yogurt container should do the trick. Tap water for some live creatures? That is amazing :-)

Thanks
Doug

One MAS member used to say, "Chlorine is our friend" when dealing with blackworms. I think you want a shallow container for them Doug. One of the little food storage containers would be perfect. Just be sure to rinse them everyday and keep them cool.

Sue
Sign me -
Compulsive Hobbyist

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:45 pm
pbdragon User avatar
MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

Sounds like I might have to pick some of these buggers up. Just wondering though, what happens if you miss a day or two of rinsing them?

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

pbdragon wrote:
Sounds like I might have to pick some of these buggers up. Just wondering though, what happens if you miss a day or two of rinsing them?

http://www.minnfish.com/forum/viewtopic ... worms#3057
Like a complete unknown

Return to Foods and Nutrition