Board index Fish Talk Other Fish What classification does a flower horn belongs to?

What classification does a flower horn belongs to?

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

gustavowoltmann Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

What classification does a flower horn belongs to? And is it hard to breed this kind of fish?

Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

They are hybrids, from my understanding there is a higher chance of infertility due to this fact. You should get better answers in the hybrid section.
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Binomial nomenclature system is used by ichthyologists to classify living things found in Nature. Once classified, the living item is given two names (bi is two). One is genus name (closely related species are grouped into a genera) and second is species name (this name is unique and is not shared with other members of genera).

Flowerhorn creation occurred in 1993. Rumor has it that Amphilophus citrinellus was crossed with Amphilophus trimaculatus. Then offspring were bred to "parrot cichlid", which is itself a hybrid. The kok comes from citinellus and flowerline comes from trimaculatus. I guess parrot brought more color in. Parrots are so ugly it is not clear why anyone would attempt to bred fish to it. Flowerhorn breeders created new types of flowerhorns (see chart below).

Like a complete unknown

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Not sure how difficult breeding is but most large males are kept in tank alone. They are aggressive and would be inclined to kill other fish in tank. This would include females I believe. Yet, they have been bred.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Other Fish