Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Pea puffers in a 29g

Pea puffers in a 29g

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:48 am
scottrodmn Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

So I have a 29G at work and I really want to try pea puffers but I keep reading that they are picky eaters and you cant keep more than 1-2 in a tank with no other fish. For those who have them what am I really looking at? If I have lots of structure and plants to break up the tank how many of these lil guys would I be able to keep in the tank or would I be better to get 1-2 of them and have some other tank mates? Looking for advice. What foods have you gotten them to eat, this tank is at my office and storage for frozen or live foods would be limited or have to come from home.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 am
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I had a trio in a well planted 40 high with a group of Corydoras duplicareus. Both groups of fish were spawning. I fed the puffers blackworms, frozen bloodworms, and small snails. The male pea puffer can get aggressive but with all the hiding spots in a planted tank, the other fish can hide when they need to. My pea puffers liked it warm and I kept the tank at 82 degrees F.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:27 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I concur. I've had them in a 30Gal just fine with corydoras. It can be hit more miss. If you get one that's aggressive, it doesn't matter who the tank mates are. But I've had them in a community tank without any issues as long as they aren't with other aggressive fish that can swallow them. I've got a tank with a silver dollar and blood parrot, and they get along just fine.

I've had three in a tank too and if you have enough hiding spots, they can be fine. I had them in a 120 gal at one time and not enough plants, so they kept chasing each other. They love the plants to hide in so I added in tons of it. The ones I had would eat bloodworms and snails. I have a separate tank where I raise the snails. I had one puffer that wouldn't eat unless I dangled the bloodworms right in front of him. Needless to say, don't use your fingers.

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:18 pm
Level 2 Member

I am limited to fake plants in the tank but I have varying heights and a driftwood piece in the middle with a few holey rock pieces on the bottom and I can for sure add some more fake plants to give them more nooks and crannys to evade each other. Who should I add first the Corys or the Puffers? I am thinking get the Corys and let them get established before the puffers that way the puffers would not see them as a new thing to check out... Where do you guys get your small snails and blackworms?

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I find them just about anywhere. I really haven't been to a pet store and not found any worms for them. Snails are easy. Best ones are the pest snails as far as I'm concerned. Trumpet snails are good too but they only come out at night. Either way, they both reproduce like crazy so there's always plenty of food. As long as you have food, the snails will reproduce.

But why can't you have real plants?

What kind of corys are you going to get? I've got tons of albino and emerald green ones.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:20 pm
Level 2 Member

As for the plants I guess I its not that I cannot have real plants, just have never had good luck with them. This tank has one of the LED hoods and my office is halogen bulbs so most plants that I tried die off. I might try them again. As for the Corys I have not decided yet, I have a black sand bottom so those guys you have might not be bad....I have also came across Forest Lake pets has a couple of the SAP puffers and from what I read and have been told they are true freshwater puffers and couple of these guys might do well in my tank too and they are a bit larger. So now I am tossed up, do I get 5-6 of the Dwarf puffers or 2-3 of the SAP puffers that are larger.

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

scottrodmn wrote:
As for the plants I guess I its not that I cannot have real plants, just have never had good luck with them. This tank has one of the LED hoods and my office is halogen bulbs so most plants that I tried die off. I might try them again. As for the Corys I have not decided yet, I have a black sand bottom so those guys you have might not be bad....I have also came across Forest Lake pets has a couple of the SAP puffers and from what I read and have been told they are true freshwater puffers and couple of these guys might do well in my tank too and they are a bit larger. So now I am tossed up, do I get 5-6 of the Dwarf puffers or 2-3 of the SAP puffers that are larger.

I find that Lloydiella vines grow really easily and they like hiding in them when I bunch them together. If you try it, try fertilizing it. If you get some gel capsules, and some osmocote fertilizer pellets, you can bury a tablet in the roots. Mine just explode every time I do it.

If you've got black sand, the contrast with the albino cories look awesome. Too bad you're not closer. I have about 40 to 50 mature ones I can spare, and about 100 more fry on the way. The panda and juli cories look really good with black sand too.

Are you positive about the SAP puffers? I was pretty sure that they eventually needed to transition to brackish water. The pea puffers were the ones that were okay in fresh water. If you get the pea puffers, try to sex them and get only one male. Their survival rates are a lot better because they won't kill each other, and you will have a really good chance of them mating.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:29 am
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

The SAP is 100% freshwater. The spawning routine does mimic marine types because the larval fish are pelagic but they still stay in freshwater nursery zones.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:00 am
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Eric N wrote:
The SAP is 100% freshwater. The spawning routine does mimic marine types because the larval fish are pelagic but they still stay in freshwater nursery zones.

Then I've been misled. Dang. Well the pea puffers are cool too.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:09 pm
Level 2 Member

I will see if I can find those plants you mentioned and try them out. I am really tossed up The SAP puffer would be a little larger in size but less of them and I have read that you will have to trim the teeth no matter what you feed them. With my big meat hooks for hands I doubt I can trim something that small.... This is making me lean towards the Pea puffers as I think I can get 2-3 of them and add some corys for clean up and have enough activity in the tank to keep it from looking like a plant tank....

Return to Other Fish