Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Native fish, would it be possible...?

Native fish, would it be possible...?

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:11 pm
kretty Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

To get a Native Species Board? Im just asking because thats all i keep and its tough to find any info. It could be a one stop shop on Largemouth bass, pike, darters, etc. Just a question/request. Dont know where else to post this.

Thanks,
Kretty

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:12 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Have you checked out the North American Native Fishes Association (NANFA)? It's a great organization and forum with many active members and excellent information. We have several people in MAS who are members and some who have contributed articles to their publication, American Currents. I am unaware of any local native clubs or forums/boards. There may or may not be enough interest to justify another topic on MinnFish. Perhaps Loverland will take it under advisement. In the meantime, the "Other Fish" sub forum on MinnFish might be your best option. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 pm
MplsGuy Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

What do you keep, Kretty? I keep darters, dace and shiners. I would love to have sunfish one day.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:17 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

This is it.
If there were more traffic on natives then a unique section but not there yet.
Like a complete unknown

kretty Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have a bullhead, 2 largemouth, three self cloning crayfish, and a smallmouth. Also one crappie minnow they have juat looked over and havent eaten.... yet.

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:06 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

What size tank is required for these fish?
Like a complete unknown

Rodent Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

That is one lucky minnow!! We kept native fish for quite a while and those small mouth don't let much slide by them. He was most aggressive fish in our tank. We also had Walleye, Muskie, Northern pike, Crappies and sunfish. None of those would get very much if the smallie didn't get enough. We had them in a 120 Gallon and it worked out pretty good. Worse part was keeping live food for them, feeder goldfish were expensive and crappie minnows died like mad and you took the chance of one being sick and passing it along. Native fish aren't cheap either, that was back in the early 2000's and $40 - 60 a fish was pretty much the going rate plus if your a fisherman what's in your tank goes against your possession limit....

Return to Other Fish