Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Interested in Freshwater Rays, Tell me what I would need?

Interested in Freshwater Rays, Tell me what I would need?

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

GentlemanGames Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

It has been a dream for a long time to own a ray or two, what species are freshwater? How do I keep them?

daphilster08 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

The key things you need is a large aquarium. My 3 foot wide aquarium will be small for most adult rays. You need great filtration. Like over filtrate by a lot. You need to feed good foods which can get expensive. Massivore pellets, raw shrimp, raw tilapia, etc. Stability is key as well.
-Phil

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Tank does not need to be deep but a lot of real estate as Phil stated. I have seen 500 gal about 18 inches deep. Phil makes a great point in bringing up food costs.
It is also important to have some dithers. Fast dithers or they will be part of the food costs.

If kept properly they will bred in captivity. Try to get male and female of same species to avoid unwanted hybrid
Like a complete unknown

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Chris visits minnfish from time to time. He built a "ray pond" with concrete blocks and pond liner in his basement. Chris had a great idea with pond liner, but IMO his available room size limited size of pond.

Chris had a cover of some type to avoid evaporation. Humidity levels are serious issue over time. Large indoor ponds would be difficult for that reason.
Like a complete unknown

fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

If convenient location - since you don't have your location in your info, Robert @ a world of fish kept rays for several years in a 220 i believe and even got them to breed. I believe he is the store manager there but is usually in most nights.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Return to Other Fish