Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Alligator Gar from Tropiquatics

Alligator Gar from Tropiquatics

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:29 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

nkambae wrote:
The reason there are so few large alligator gars (Atractosteus spatula) anymore is more probably linked to over fishing and habitat degradation than anything else. Fish grow throughout their entire lives and will outgrow their enclosures. I seen catfish, pacus, etc. so large they can barely turn around in the aquarium. A fish does not have to grow to its maximum reported size to outgrow most home aquaria.

stu

Agree with you Stu. As much as I enjoy shovel nosed catfish, I will not keep them for these reasons.

It is NOT OK for me to attempt to stop anyone from legal raising 4-6 foot predator fish. It is OK to blink my lights at them (remind keepers the day will come when these large fish will need to be euthanized) and drive on.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

"It is NOT OK for me to attempt to stop anyone from legal raising 4-6 foot predator fish. It is OK to blink my lights at them (remind keepers the day will come when these large fish will need to be euthanized) and drive on."

Amen and amen... It is good to express opinions, have discourse and seek understanding. It it not so good to cast aspersions and be vitriolic. That said, I do believe the various governing bodies will take these decisions from us if we continue to avoid talking about the issues and regulating ourselves. How many fish and other creatures have been released to the wild because a hobbyist was unable to find a new keeper for an unwanted animal and or did not have the heart to euthanize the animal? Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 am
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

How many posts do we have on here right now of people all of a sudden trying to get rid of their fish that is all of a sdden too big? Red Tail Cat, Oscars, Pacu, you name it. At least 3-4 i bet. I always chuckle at the daily bumps on those posts and move on. Should have learned about what you bought.

ok, i went back and actually looked...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41442
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41464
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41206

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41400

and here is your alligator gar post in a year
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40742
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

greencanvasinteriorscape wrote:
Seeing all those study and tag pics reinforces my thinking that government agencies have way way way too much budget and time. Why, to study a fish that has what economic or dinner plate impact? The American version of pangasius cat, definitely agree not for aquaria. Are they hardy here? Got to get your attention getting bit by one...

While I agree our various governments have bloated budgets and have taken on responsibilities over and above their original charters, it might be argued that the state has a vested interest in the maintenance and health of its flora and fauna. Also, the alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula) does have significant economic impact in its native range. They have been used for animal feed, fertilizer, food for humans, and more recently they have become a destination target species for anglers looking for large predators. One also needs to consider the health of a water systems apex predator as it relates to the over all well being of the watershed. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 am
rawalstrom Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

fasttalon94 wrote:
and here is your alligator gar post in a year
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40742

It only took 3 months....

Ryan
Ryan

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 am
sbuse User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

All this is why it is imperative for the BUYER to research anything you get. It just comes down to if you can't house it don't get it. I honestly can't tell you how many silver aros I have seen put into 55gals. Like I have said before all fish/animals should be availible to own. You can look at dogs or cats. How many people have them that shouldn't? I inform everyone on what they are going to gets max sizes and about how fast they will grow.

As to the posts of people selling fish fast. Ever think that maybe the fish turned aggressive? Or they didn't work out with the stock they thought they would? I for example sold an 8"+ it DAT and a 13"+ pbass. I sold them not because I couldn't house them, not because I didn't want them, but because they got attitudes and became a risk to my gars. Many many cases of both being kept with gars without issues, but these fish were different. Don't judge what you lack knowledge on. People have different reasons for selling fish. Could some cases be that they didn't know what they got from Petco or Walmart...yes, but not all.

Don't instinct buy, go to responsible vendors and if you don't know what your getting don't get it.
S and L Aquatics

Quality fish at affordable prices!

http://www.sandlaquatics.com

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 am
scottv User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

So I just went to Tropiquatics today and saw a TWO FOOT LONG Alligator gar from customer who purchased it small a year ago. Was it yours? :lol:

To anyone interested, it's a pretty impressive size so far and looks very healthy. Someone get that thing into a monster tank!
I love Amphilophus

Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:47 pm
Petah19 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

scottv wrote:
So I just went to Tropiquatics today and saw a TWO FOOT LONG Alligator gar from customer who purchased it small a year ago. Was it yours? :lol:

To anyone interested, it's a pretty impressive size so far and looks very healthy. Someone get that thing into a monster tank!

Yup That's my Alligator Gar, I traded him for Exodons since they don't out grow tanks and feed like piranhas and very aggressive and curious fishes.

I would love to kept him, but yes a Monster Tank would be required.

it's been over a Year.
Redder better:]

Previous

Return to Other Fish