Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Thinking about getting out of fishkeeping. . .

Thinking about getting out of fishkeeping. . .

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

KhiaraFish User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I really do like the fish keeping, but I want to be doing more with my time. Right now I'm probably spending about half an hour to an hour on my tanks every day. I've been doing a lot more outside of school with my friends, and am also doing more stuff at home. I'm really trying to invest a lot of time in my writing, and also my gardening. I'd probably stick around the forum, and keep my 10 gallon set-up, but I would take down the 30 Gallon. I don't know if I want to do this or not, what are your guy's opinions?
Khiara

"Yes, I keep fish.
Yes,I have 2 tanks.
No, its not really that many."

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:43 pm
The Mini Fish Room User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

It's understandable. Just keep one or two species that really appeals to you. Your ten gallon set up you mentioned should be perfect since it will not take up so much time.
"Semper Fi."

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 pm
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

If you enjoy the hobby you should keep it up. We all have issues doing maintnance when its nice outside and you could be spending time at the cabin fishing. I look at it like this, if I am not doing maintnance on fish tanks, then I am fishing. I just simply enjoy fish in general. So many fish but so little time. Do what you enjoy but fish keeping and husbandry is not something that can successfully be done in moderation like other hobbies
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:16 am
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

It seems that me that what is really time consuming in the aquarium hobby is the changes. New tanks, new fish, sickness, new babies, etc are where the work is. An established tank with a low bioload reayy doesn't need much more than a feeding once or twice a day and a half hour of water changes and cleaning every week or two. So I bet you can keep a tank with a few critters you really like and have most of your time for other things.

btw, the size of the tank makes very little difference to the amount of time it requires. Except for a little more time to complete the cleaning and water change on the day you do that, it's no more time to maintain a 55 than a 10. Also, larger tanks are more stable when you don't have the time and let them go a little too long before maintenance. So if you have to choose one tank to keep, you might choose the largest one.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 am
Esox Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Half an hour to an hour each day seems like a lot for two small tanks. Is there any way you can make things more efficient? Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 pm
KhiaraFish User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

It mostly takes so long since they are in my bedroom, so I'm working around all of my stuff. And also because I'm kinda finicky when it comes to how I want it to look. I kind of want to get a desk in my room, but the only really viable spot to put one would be where the 30 gallon is. That tank is also sort of stressing me out right now. All of my water conditions are stable, but about a month ago my filter died, and a couple months ago I got a bad batch of cories, all of which died. Then in the 20 gallon I have in the living room, we got a bad batch of cardinals, one of which is doing fine. We also had some fish in that tank pass away from old age.

So basically I'm just feeling pretty discouraged, and I really do like the fishkeeping, but I feel like right now a 30 gallon may just be too much.
Thanks for all the replies!
Khiara

"Yes, I keep fish.
Yes,I have 2 tanks.

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm
stud_muffin Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Maybe make a double stand and place both tanks in the most convenient location. Instead of having two separate locations that adds to your consumption of time. You literally cut it in half.

When fish die its a real downer. I personally hate it when that happens because I just dropped a couple of bucks on them and they end up belly up. The plus side is that I get to go back and either get a refund or get more fish. And restart. It might sound cruel but atleast I'm replacing them and giving more fish the opportunity to live in a tank that has adequate space instead of being packed in temporary holding tanks with dead tank mates. (no offense to stores)

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:06 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If you find yourself avoiding fish tanks by doing tasks you have avoiding doing for some time, it is time to get out.

If you find yourself enjoying fish as much as ever but also wanting to enjoy other pleasures such as gardening, keep tanks, reduce fish load. I agree about moving tanks for easy maintence.

Losing fish is essentially a painful learning expierence. If nothing was learned and nothing done to prevent same from occurring again, then it is time to get out.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 am
KhiaraFish User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I think that I found a solution. My family thinks that sometime this summer we might be able to buy a larger tank, probably anywhere from a 55 to a 75 to put into the dining room, and that all of the fish and plants could move from the 30 and the 20 into that tank, and then I could get the 30 out of my room. :D . So I'll probably just have the 30 in my room for a few more months, and then the fish get a bigger and better tank. Thank you so much for all the suggestions you guys, it helped a lot.
Khiara

"Yes, I keep fish.
Yes,I have 2 tanks.

Return to Other Fish