Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Arowana question???

Arowana question???

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 am
xenger651 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I just recently got back into fish and so i bought a Silver arowana at FLP and puted in my 55 gal. for now until i get a bigger tank.My question is that why is the fish not active and always stays in one corner next to my heater and filter system...does it like the current from the filter or what....plus it wasnt eating anything so i threw some red minnows from Petsmart in the tank and i havent seen it eat but the minnow are disappearing so i'm guessing it's eating it....lmk what you guys think....

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 am
vuehouaxiong Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

its probably not use to its new encloser.give him time to build confidence.if he's not eating,it could be an issue.how big is the aro.smaller sizes ones tend to be scared of people until it gets bigger.its goes for other fishes as well.

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am
xenger651 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

it's about 10'inches...he does get spooked alot when you walk past him...hopefully he gets comfortable soon....

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:02 pm
vuehouaxiong Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

one good thing you could do that always works is throw some smaller size fish in there with him.by letting him feel dominant,he will be more active and not always hideing.i prefer giant dainios.they get about 4 inches and will out swim your aro.gl

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:06 pm
xenger651 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

never thought of that...thanks for the tip....i'll go pick some up tonight and post up some pics of my setup!!! :wink:

Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 am
SnowMouse User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

All arowana's that I have experienced with are shy in the beginning, and then after 2-3 days... they are swimming and searching for little buggers that can fit in their mouth.
You'll enjoy the arowana, I guarantee it.

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm
Rogerher84 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

U should try feeding the guy some crickets...i have rainbow sharks, guppies, and mollies with my guy. The other fish breed in the tank so it provides plenty of food for my aro, but I like to give him some good protein (from crickets) and I also feed mines the hikari carnivorous arowana sticks...good luck with yours!

Return to Other Fish