Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Bulldog Discus !!!!!

Bulldog Discus !!!!!

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 pm
Al M. Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I was wondering how much interest there is in Bulldog discus, do people in the cities here like them or not..... If your interested in them please reply to this post.............I know alot of people absolutely hate them so this is not a post for bashing, but nationally there is alot of interest...... WHAT DO YOU THINK ....ANYONE?.............Al M.

I could have added A like, hate poll but I don't want to get into that debate...

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 pm
K_Discus Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

I don't know about the others but I want some. :D
MONSTER FISH & TROPHEUS

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm
toueeyoreeyang Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I like them! You got some?
If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, and taste like a fish...... it's delicious!!!

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm
DiamondDiscus User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I introduced bulldogs a few times in my past shipments and the response to this question were not the greatest. Either you love them or you hate them and more hate them. I personally did not like them when I first saw them but slowly these have grown on me. 1/4 of my customer base like them but would rather pick others (traditional shaped) first before they buy a bulldog. High Body Discus and Albinos are alot more desirable than Bulldogs.

If you plan on breeding these good luck :D!!!
Diamond Discus
Eagan, MN 55122
952-486-9800

Call Us for Showing!!! Very flexible hours as I work from home. Mornings, Nights and Weekends are good times to make appointments.

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 pm
Al M. Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I actully have A pair that throws high body fish and A percentage of bulldogs....I wasn't A big fan of them atfirst but they have grown on me....there are different types of bulldogs too.....

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:57 pm
Al M. Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Bulldogs are very desireable in parts of the world and can be very exspensive over seas, they are cheaper in the U.S. beause they haven't caught on here like over in Asia yet......or maybe they never will I don't know...

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm
Al M. Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

How come this thread got moved to other fish ? last time I checked discus were still considered new world chiclids......

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 am
discus fever Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Maybe the the mod was letting you what he thinks about bulldogs! LOL :)

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:42 pm
FHK Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Al M. wrote:
How come this thread got moved to other fish ? last time I checked discus were still considered new world chiclids......

My post got move too. I guess discus no longer belong in the new world. Why didn't all discus posts move to here? There still couple posts in the new world.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 pm
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

See following post from Bob for explanation of why post was moved, this was from the "Vieja" post also in this section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passionfish
Level 18 Member

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are approaching the root of what bothers some cichlid keepers here. In general the problem is as follows.
WILD TYPE - this fish strongly resemble their wild ancestors. Keeping fish in tanks will lead to unnatural selection but these fish look like wild fish.

AQUARIUM STRAIN - these fish are NOT hybrids but look nothing like a wild fish either. A sport was recognized and fish breeders worked to create a new strain based on breeding sport and parents. With time many new morphs are possible aka domestic discus, angels, etc.

HYBRIDS - first hybrid to bug cichlid keepers was parrot cichlid. Later some cichlid keepers took issue with flowerhorns. Today, most everyone is "Enjoy your fish and I will enjoy my fish".

There are those that do not like this arrangement. They prefer a fish is wild type or fish is not wild type. If it is not wild type then it makes little difference it is line breed or hybrid. They are all man made creations.

My own belief is we should use the three group idea with wild type fish discussed under headings of SA or CA or whatever. Line bred or aquarium strains need to go into OTHER FISH. Hybrid threads go into HYBRIDS section.

Regarding the Vieja hartwegi. There is not evidence they are hybrids. There is little more than speculation they are line bred. However Hybrid Keeper has asked me to move thread and therefore it will be placed in other fish until more is known about V. hartwegi discussed here.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 pm
FHK Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

sambia2 wrote:
See following post from Bob for explanation of why post was moved, this was from the "Vieja" post also in this section.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passionfish
Level 18 Member

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are approaching the root of what bothers some cichlid keepers here. In general the problem is as follows.
WILD TYPE - this fish strongly resemble their wild ancestors. Keeping fish in tanks will lead to unnatural selection but these fish look like wild fish.

AQUARIUM STRAIN - these fish are NOT hybrids but look nothing like a wild fish either. A sport was recognized and fish breeders worked to create a new strain based on breeding sport and parents. With time many new morphs are possible aka domestic discus, angels, etc.

HYBRIDS - first hybrid to bug cichlid keepers was parrot cichlid. Later some cichlid keepers took issue with flowerhorns. Today, most everyone is "Enjoy your fish and I will enjoy my fish".

There are those that do not like this arrangement. They prefer a fish is wild type or fish is not wild type. If it is not wild type then it makes little difference it is line breed or hybrid. They are all man made creations.

My own belief is we should use the three group idea with wild type fish discussed under headings of SA or CA or whatever. Line bred or aquarium strains need to go into OTHER FISH. Hybrid threads go into HYBRIDS section.

Regarding the Vieja hartwegi. There is not evidence they are hybrids. There is little more than speculation they are line bred. However Hybrid Keeper has asked me to move thread and therefore it will be placed in other fish until more is known about V. hartwegi discussed here.

Yes, I saw that but why not all the posts are moved to here.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:33 pm
Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Sorry, misread your question. Think Bob answered it below.
Last edited by Ron on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Al M. wrote:

It is true that some but not all discus are New World cichlids. The discus that are not New World cichlids, are human creations. Such cichlids are referred to as aquarium strain cichlids.
There is no aquarium strain cichlid section so the thread was moved to section closest to aquarium strain on this forum.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:26 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

featherfin wrote:

Because I have not found the time to do so. Will get around to it sooner or later.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27 am
TURQ64 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I've grown out and spawned many a discus, but to me, nothing beats a nice, thick, plate sized fish, so I'm one of the bulldog 'haters'...

http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/A-LONE/artic ... l=f&fid=14
Who are all of these pirates? and why do they keep calling me "Captain'?

Return to Other Fish