Board index Fish Talk Other Fish wild type bettas...

wild type bettas...

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Who keeps wild type bettas and what species? I know there are several members who do. I would like to see who has what and hopefully what might become available as people have success breeding their wild types.

The species I have are:

Betta coccina - F1
B. rubra - F0
B. rutilans - F0
B. albimarginata - F1

Are you all using almond leaves? Black water extract? How are you conditioning your water and fish?

For those who might be interested, I have emailed several domestic almond growers in the hope of finding a cheaper source of leaves. It should be less expensive than buying and shipping from overseas. I'll post here as I get results from my inquiries. Good luck all.

stu
Last edited by nkambae on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is John Galt?

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 pm
mrfishness Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I have one F1 macrostoma male. Looking for a female at the moment. I do and would always use almond leaves for my wilds. I also use R/O sometimes 100% sometimes 70%. I feel uncomfortble without them but its just me.
~2 years of cichlid and im sick less! ahahaha
~5 years of betta splendens and I'm spendin! hehe
~3 months of wilds and I'm still a child!
Fish: 1 pair Macrostoma.

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 pm
toueeyoreeyang Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

almond leaves used here too.... let me know if you can find some cheaper than at the lfs's...

Wild Betta species i have... hrmmmmmm.......

6 macrostoma f1 juvies

trio of wild rubra's

one spawning of rubra fry (30+ male released about 2 weeks ago)

male rubra holding another spawning of eggs right now!!!

Soon to get simplex & channoides

no r/o used here.... straight tap and fish are doing great..... they're spawning so they must not mind!
Last edited by toueeyoreeyang on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, and taste like a fish...... it's delicious!!!

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 am
Ranchu User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

toueeyoreeyang wrote:
almond leaves used here too.... let me know if you can find some cheaper than at the lfs's...

Wild Betta species i have... hrmmmmmm.......

6 macrostoma f1 juvies

trio of wild rubra's

one spawning of rubra fry (30+ male released about 2 weeks ago)

male rubra holding another spawning of eggs right now!!!

Soon to get simplex & channoides

no r/o used here.... straight tap and fish are doing great..... they're spawning so they must not mind!

those guys sound very familar.... i wonder why??? ...................... :P

anyways, i have macs and only macs. I had others too but decided to put all my focus in the macs. They are kept in ro/di, no almond leaves. never used it on my macs. Trying to raise them as hardy as possible.

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:09 am
toueeyoreeyang Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Hahahaha :lol: Thanks for the rubra's bro!!!!
Last edited by toueeyoreeyang on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a fish, swims like a fish, and taste like a fish...... it's delicious!!!

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:36 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Good to see others are keeping them too. Don't forget to let us know when you have some fry. I'm sure I'll be interested in getting some more at some point. I'm at maximum fish and aquarium saturation right now.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:11 am
bettamax User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have 4 pairs of Macs, two pairs of Albis, a pair of Channoides and some fries from these mouthbrooders. I also have a bunch of Brownorums and Simplexs that I'm trying to sell cheap but no ones seems interested.

I dont use IAL in my Mac tanks, but do for my albis and channoides.

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:36 pm
capman Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

nkambae wrote:
Who keeps wild type bettas and what species? I know there are several members who do. I would like to see who has what and hopefully what might become available as people have success breeding their wild types.

The species I have are:

Betta coccina - F1
B. rubra - F0
B. rutilans - F0
B. uberis - F0
B. imbellis - F0 and tank raised
B. albimarginata - F1
B. channoides - F0

Are you all using almond leaves? Black water extract? How are you conditioning your water and fish?

For those who might be interested, I have emailed several domestic almond growers in the hope of finding a cheaper source of leaves. It should be less expensive than buying and shipping from overseas. I'll post here as I get results from my inquiries. Good luck all.

stu

Do you still have Betta imbellis breeding in your tanks? I really wanted to get some for a long time. I actually bought some from one of the MAS speakers a number of years back. Supposedly, they were going to be two pairs, but they turned out to all be males.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:53 am
KY42 User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have Macrostomas and Smaragdinas at this point...and oh did I mention they are for sale ;)
Beejay's Bettas - 1211 Arcade Street - Saint Paul, Mn 55106
Shop Phone: 651-330-0270 Shop Email: Beejaysbettas@yahoo.com

Store Hours: Mon- Closed - Tues thru Friday Noon to 7:30 pm - Saturday 11am to 7 pm - Sun 11 to 5 pm

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:11 am
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

B. ocellata
B. channoides
B. rutilans

Also sp. mahachai which I consider a variety of wild splendens.

I have spawned the mahachais and the ocellata. Currently I have some ocellata juveniles I would trade for a new species.

Andy

Return to Other Fish