Board index Fish Talk Other Fish Native darters

Native darters

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:04 pm
meck3427 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Anyone out there keeping Darters? If you are, are there any special permits to catching and keeping them? There are some great looking varieties native to MN and am interested in learning more. Any knowledge or advice is appreciated

Thanks

Post Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:51 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

My reading of MN DNR rules and regulations are anyone over 16 is not allowed to collect wild fish from native waters. MAS has a diligent member that has applied to DNR for many years to take darters from native waters and has been successful in obtaining said permit.

I have researched other states including Iowa and have yet to find other states with rules similar to MN. Therefore, collecting a few darters in other states is legal based on what I have read.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:39 am
meck3427 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Thanks for the info. I have an annual Wisconsin fishing license, may try my luck over there. Will have to do some more reading. Someone told me you can't transport water from another state? Will have to have a cooler with some tank water ready for them.

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Non WI residents need non resident fishing license to take darters for personal use. I. Heard trying to sell or barter the fish is a crime
Like a complete unknown

Return to Other Fish