Board index Fish Talk Other Fish What are you guys putting in your ponds ??

What are you guys putting in your ponds ??

Stop in here for talk on fish not listed above.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 pm
Kolopedo User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

I about to put out my 150g pond for the season and I'm torn about what to stock it with.

Should I try to spawn something or just do decorative this year!?

I'm curious what y'all are going to do this year ... Maybe I'll find some inspiration !!
-Tom C.

. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

twinsfan Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Still debating where to put the pond in my yard, but I think I'm going with smaller fish. Guppies or mollies. I've never done a pond before and I don't know what I would do with the fish in the winter time. I'm thinking if I keep smaller fish, they will be easier to house in the winter and I can feed the culls to my frontosa. What do you typically do with your fish over the winter? Sorry, not much inspiration, just questions lol

Kolopedo User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

Had lots of aquariums to house fish in the cold months ... But this year I will just trade them in to local LFS for store credit or give them to friends.

I think that I may just to comets this year and not worry about heating the tank. That or gouramis of some sort.
-Tom C.

. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Dreshanda Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

If you're more concerned with quantity over size, and if you don't like heating a pond, minnows are a good source of fun. Several years ago, when I was still young and pretty, my father kept an old 90-or-so-gallon water trough in the yard full of mud minnows we caught from the creek in our back yard. If you're worried about Skeeter larvae, sticklebacks love those, if you can even find them nowadays. I personally find mud minnows attractive little critters, the ones with the weird blue dots on their heads, the rounded tail and fins. I never see those around anymore, either.

Otherwise, a good ol hardy carp is definitely something easy to care for.

Return to Other Fish