Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Metallic Livebearer

Metallic Livebearer

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:33 pm
Mike8404 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I recently acquired a pair of these little fish and a few fry that were born during shipment and haven't really found a whole lot of info on them. Has anyone else here kept them? Also for those that are curious I can give updates on them.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm curious. :D
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:51 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Got a species name? Lots of livebearers are small and metallic looking. some of us might have experience we can help with if we find out what exactly it is.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:51 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Got a species name? Lots of livebearers are small and metallic looking. some of us might have experience we can help with if we find out what exactly it is.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 pm
Mike8404 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

born ready wrote:

I will give more info as I go along :). I have had them for about a week and they are a blast to watch lol. The scientific name for them is girardinus metallicus.

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm
Mike8404 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

mke wrote:
I'm curious. :D

OK so I have made a video. I apologize as it isn't the best quality lol. In it you see the Metallic Livebearer fry in the beginning. The make has a black spot on his head and a black belly going from his chin to the tip of his reproductive organ (I cant remember how to spell that haha). The females have the same metallic sheen as the male hence the name metallic livebearer, but instead of the black down the chin and belly they have a black spot on the dorsal fin. I haven't has these fish for long. I got them last week. However I have noticed that the fry will grow very fast! Last week when I got them the fry were barley 4cm, but now 6 days later they are a little over 1/4 of an inch. They have a black spot on the dorsal as well and don't seem to be afraid of anything. I'll work on making the vids better quality. I get my water from a well and occasionally will find that I have tons of little bubbles that float from the bottom of the tank and sit at the top. I'll post another vid in a week. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy1Kgnxz0O0

Return to Livebearers and Killifish