Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Discus Eating Tetra?

Discus Eating Tetra?

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm
hoover86 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Last Monday I stopped at a LFS to get some tank mates for my discus. I have 4 medium and large discus in a 55G and wanted to get some other fish. They gave me a few different recommendations and I decided to get a group of 16 rainbow tetra.

Well they've slowly been disappearing since I got them. I'm down to just 6 now. After the first couple went missing I started looking all over my tank but nothing to be found. After more and more disappear the only solution I have is that they are getting eaten by my discus.

Anyone have problems similar to this? I don't understand why they would've been recommended if it's common for discus to eat them...

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm
turtlesoul20 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Nothing new here. Very common for discus to chase down smaller fish. You will have better luck if you have hiding place for tetras.

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:11 pm
hoover86 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Wish I would've known that before buying some expensive discus food :evil: Figured a LFS that sold lots of discus would give me good recommendations.

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 am
Jimbo Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I have lots of different kinds of tetras in my discus tank with no problems, yes I do have a few spots for them to hind but I find the more you have the less the discus chase. Also like anything if you are hungry you are more likely to go look for food. This has been my experience and not trying to tell anyone how to care for Discus this has just worked for me.

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm
hoover86 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

There's a couple large pieces of driftwood in the tank but the tetra didnt seem to cozy up to them or look for cover at all. I feed my discus twice a day a descent amount of food. I've tried mysis with them before and they didn't eat any at all so I was surprised they would eat small fish.

Like I said, biggest gripe here is that the store didnt say a word about the possibility of them getting eaten. I wouldn't spend $60 on a group of fish that have a chance at being food. I also sent the store a PM explaining the situation hoping they would help me out somehow but they never replied. Guess I'll stick to advice from people here and remember stores are in the business of making money, not friends.

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

My discus like emperor tetras.

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm
K_Discus Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

My wild discus and wild altums eat my cardinals everyday
MONSTER FISH

Return to Livebearers and Killifish