Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish female guppies?

female guppies?

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Karlito User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

ok im guessing this is a dumb question but how do you determine the breed/type of female guppies and can they breed with other types of guppies? ive been thinking of getting into guppies since they tend to like planted tanks (i think?) thanks for any info. super guppie noob

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Guppies are very nice in planted tanks since they will eat algae and dense plants give their babies places to hide while they grow.
If you want guppies that breed true you need to buy from an actual breeder, either locally or from aquabid. Any guppies from pet stores should just be considered 'mixed guppies' since they tend to toss all the females together, or they get them as mixed in the first place.
All the various strains will interbreed, and some closely related species like endler's livebearers can interbreed with guppies too (this cross is where most snakeskin strains originate).

I'm sure some of the more experienced guppy people can give you better and more detailed advice.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm
Karlito User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

ok thanks i bought a trio of lyre tails from the action and was hoping that they could breed with a cobra/snakeskin? i got from a lfs for dirt cheap but maybe i will just keep the lyre tails seperate and buy new cobras thanks again

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:15 pm
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I would keep them separate personally. Like Phil said unless you are going to get your guppies from a breeder or reputable source they will most likely be mixed.

Do you know who the breeder of the trio was?

I have a nice group of Black Phantoms here.
Garrett B.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 pm
Karlito User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

i dont recall the seller but i have the receipt from the action but i think that only has a few letters and a number as far as the seller goes? i am going to just move the lyre tails to my shrimp tank i think. which brings another question? will the shrimp hurt any of the fry they produce?

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

the shrimp wont eat the guppy fry but the guppies might eat the shrimplets
Garrett B.

Return to Livebearers and Killifish