Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Nano livebearers?

Nano livebearers?

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:05 pm
alcimedes Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Does such a thing exist? I'm talking at most 4-7mm when fully grown.

Did some google searching and came up empty.

I did eventually find this page though:

http://www.freewebs.com/nanofishlist/suitability.html

Which has a long list of "nano" suitable fish, including a list that breaks down whether or not they are livebearers.

Anyone have any hands on experience with any of the following?

Phallichthys fairweatheri
Carlhubbsia stuarti
Limia caymanensis
Limia sulphurophila
Neoheterandria elegans

There were a bunch of other ones on that page that I've never heard of, and having trouble finding accurate info on many of them.

Anyone have an recommendations for nano fish that are livebearers? I've got a 40g planted tank full of shrimp that I'd like to add a small number of fish to, but anything that lays eggs will just have them eaten by all the apple snails.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I've been keeping Heterandria formosa for a while now and really like them, not to colorful, but nice paterning. Females max out just under an inch, males just under 3/4 of an inch. They are totally safe with Neocaridina shrimp as well.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:11 am
ChengKo User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Vashjir wrote:
I've been keeping Heterandria formosa for a while now and really like them, not to colorful, but nice paterning. Females max out just under an inch, males just under 3/4 of an inch. They are totally safe with Neocaridina shrimp as well.

Would you sell me a trio of them? :D How much would they be? O.o
Plants? What are plants?
I like piranhas.

Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm
vnnie User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Endler's Livebearer (Poecilia wingei)? A large female might be able to take down a baby shrimp but small females and any males probably couldn't. I've kept Endler's and Red Cherry Shrimp but not together. I imagine they would be fine together, especially in a well planted tank.

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 am
Shokubutsu-San User avatar
Level 12 Member
Level 12 Member

I have Endlers (yes Poecilia wingei) and these are the closest thing there is to a tiny guppy. Not that exciting. But my colony keeps on going with minimal care.

I also have Heterandria formosa. These are in a glass sphere. Their population rises and wanes depending upon how much I pay attention to them. Quite nice fish. If I can get the algae out of the sphere I might bring them to the show.

I really like the related Neoheterandria elegans. These have "tiger stripes" but are much trickier to keep going than H Formosa. After my kid gets past 12 I will try them again if they are still available.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 am
Soup3777 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Vashjir wrote:

the fish will eat the baby shrimp fry tho...

Return to Livebearers and Killifish