Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Red Dwarf Coral Platy

Red Dwarf Coral Platy

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 am
cgx2011 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

So a few months back I went to World of fish and I saw the they had these dwarfed red coral platys. As I was looking through the tank and finding dominate males and nice looking females I saw a lone hi fin male and right away I bought the male along another normal male and 3 females. It's been awhile now and the first batch of fry has reached a size where the hi fins are noticeable. But the weird part is that I have some gold body colored type ones? How is that possible from 2 dark red parents?

Another question is if I wanted some dwarfed bleeding heart platy and I breed a few of those dwarfed gold hi fin fry with some regular bleeding heart platies would they revert back to the original size or grow somewhere in between? Just something that I have been wondering about since these young gold ones have started growing. I have been looking on aquabid for a nice breeding group of bleeding hearts (none at the moment) but would like to try this out and see if I end up with some dwarfed bleeding heart platies.

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:30 pm
hypopleco User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Both of these questions come down to genetics:
For question one: We need to remember that just because a fish looks red doesn't mean that it arries the trait (ore genes)for a gold golored fish. Usually fish (and other animals, such as reptiles) are more valuble when they have been line bread out and no longer contain mixed traits.
For question two: You may have some fish which are dwarf and some which are large. Although, there is a chance that this could be a case of incomplete dominance in the genes and your fish will be an intermediate of the two, but I see this as unlikely.

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 am
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

The mother could have already been pregnant before the introduction of the other male.
Garrett B.

Return to Livebearers and Killifish