Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Guppy won't/can't give birth

Guppy won't/can't give birth

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:29 am
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I have a female guppy who is about 3 weeks over due on giving birth. Her last spawn happened about 50 days ago. 30 days after her last spawn she looked like she was ready so I put her in a breeder box and it must have spooked her because she didn't release the fry. Kept her in there for about a week then moved her back in the main tank. Now she is almost the size of my thumb width wise and having problems swimming. Anyone have any better ideas then giving her a c section at this point? This strain was not cheap, imported from Thailand.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 am
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Magnifying glass, steady hands, dish or container half filled with your water. With .000001" tolerance for error, id slice her open,(xacto blade) and extract the fry. Shes obviously is not going to make it but a majority of the fry will. Or she will burst from inside if fry are left in and cannot escape and then you loose everything. Let us know what happens and dead loss ratio.
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 pm
discus fever Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

What kind of water are you using? I am having the same problem with mine. I have several strains in different tanks. The get huge, go way overdue and if they give birth they die shortly afterwards. In my son's tank they do not seem to have this problem which leads me to believe it is the water. He uses straight tap water and very few wc. and i do a 50/50 with ro and tap. I also do small daily water changes. I have tried adding salt but it didnt seem to help. I have had a little recent success by leaving the water for awhile between changes. I don't know if it is the dirtier water ( higher tds or something else) or if it is the larger water change itself that may be triggering the births. I don't know if any of that applies to you,but let us know what happens.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 pm
stud_muffin Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Had the same situation with a platy. She was huge but didnt drop her fry. She didnt make it along with any fry. Good luck.

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:29 am
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well I waited until she looked like she was definitely not going to make it. I made a cut near where the fry usually come out, applied a little pressure and out squirted about 50 fry. A few of them didn't make it. Don't know if it was because of my doing or not.

I use st Paul tap water with prime. 50% water changes weekly. I have a few other strains of guppies that are doing just fine. Lots of fry every 28 days. It's just the imported ones I have difficulties with.

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am
willxiong Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Maybe they munched on them before you could even see. :shock:
"Fish are friends, not food."

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:58 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Glad it worked out, Adam. Which variety is this?

In my experience, moving the female late in pregnancy always lead to negative results. I use lots of bbs and java fern and let the female spawn naturally. If you feed bbs 3 - 4 times daily, they won't eat the fry.

However, older fancy guppy females will have trouble with releasing fry. They are highly inbred and just not as vigorous.

Willie

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm
juliec1 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

This was one of the platinum blue mosaics that I gave you willy. By the way, those 2 fry that I couldn't catch when you were here are developing into a nice looking pair I think. Their yours if you want them.

Return to Livebearers and Killifish