Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish ich Problem!

ich Problem!

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm
cgx2011 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

So I went to World of fish last week and bought some regular red female swords. I bought them because I also won some red hi fined swords on aquabid which arrived this afternoon and are looking good. The problem is that I made a stupid mistake of not quarantining the red females from world of fish and now I have ich in my 20 gallon long and my 10 gallon. I have done the salt remedy 1 tablespoon for every gallon for my 10 gallon cause the heater that I bought for it only heats it to 80 degrees and the swords don't seem to mind the high salt levels. In my 20 I have some bushy nose, killies, and apistos, and so I only added 1 tablespoon for every 4 gallons with the raised temp of 85 degree so the ich wouldn't be able to reproduce. I have also added an air stone for better air circulation.

Now my question is that will the ich come back if I do very little water change? Do I have to clean out the tank entirely? My new swords are in a different 10 gallon and I'm trying to find a quick way in getting rid of it so that I can put them in the pond. Any suggestions or personal experiences are welcomed =)

thanks for looking
Chee
Last edited by cgx2011 on Wed May 23, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed May 23, 2012 5:22 pm
cgx2011 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

whoops just realized this was suppose to be on the fish health thread.

Post Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 am
TerreQuatics Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Once the ich is under control, you shouldn't see a recurrence unless the fish become stressed again. While large water changes are always helpful, that doesn't mean you have to tear your tank apart and completely sterilize everything....that would do more harm than good. Just take out 50-80% of your water, and add fresh water that is the same temperature.
520 Jefferson Hwy N
Champlin, MN 55316
763-421-6008

Store Hours

Tuesday-Friday 11am - 7pm
Saturday 10am - 5pm
CLOSED SUNDAY AND MONDAY

Return to Livebearers and Killifish