Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Unexpected???

Unexpected???

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 pm
-SuperSarusRex Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have a female Balloon belly molly and she caught ich the other day put her in a 10 gal a lone she currently still has ich but getting better and she had BABIES this morning what to do????

ich

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I think a lot of salt is in order. Mollies like it and ich doesn't. Do some internet research for particulars, but I think you can't go far wrong as long as you acclimate them slowly. I'll recommend you put in one teaspoon per gallon of non-iodized table salt every hour for the next five and move on from there. Mollies can live very well in full seawater, but the freshwater variety of ich dies well before that level.

Also turn up the heat to 84, but do that slowly too.

Salt will kill most aquatic plants though so take any of those out.

Here is a good writeup:
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm
Level 3 Member

Ok thanks for e tip :)

ich

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:12 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

How are the mollies doing?
Andy

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:50 pm
Level 3 Member

The babies are doing great I have them in. A smaller tank and there alive :)

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:31 pm
yodaime User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

did you know that guppies and platties and mollies can reproduce themself with out a male. but there will be alot of defects tho. they only need a male to add some diverse genetic.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 am
Level 3 Member

yodaime wrote:
did you know that guppies and platties and mollies can reproduce themself with out a male. but there will be alot of defects tho. they only need a male to add some diverse genetic.
weirddd i guess??? lols

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:26 am
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I hadn't read that a female can reproduce without ever being with a male.

The females can store sperm and have several (I think up to six) increasingly smaller broods of fry without being with a male after the first time.

What I find weird is that platies and especially swordtail females can change into males; even after having given birth as females!
Andy

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 pm
KhiaraFish User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I hadn't read about them changing gender! I knew they could store sperm, it makes it hard to know what color the first batch of fry is going to be when the parents get home from the LFS.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:21 pm
shadoj User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I concur on the comments about females storing sperm, which can remain viable for several months! From what I've read, reports of livebearer gender switching in a lab setting seem to be due to hormonal masculinization of aging females, but these male-looking female fish cannot go on to father offspring.

Makes me glad I'm a female _human_ !

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:35 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I have seen a few older female swordails change to "males" complete with a short sword and a gonapodium. Can't say I ever took the step of trying to prove whether they could use that thing to effect or not.

Glad I'm a male human.
Andy

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:05 pm
Level 3 Member

I never even thought about fish doing "gender change" hmmmm blew my mind

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm
lethal 4D User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

yodaime wrote:
\

never heard a female fish could do such a thing...cool but weird too...imagine a female human giving offspring by herself...meaning that they won't need us guy anymore :cry:

Re:

Post Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am
ChengKo User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

yodaime wrote:

Sorry to say(not really), but you're wrong. They store sperm and usually lfs don't split males from
females til they set them out to sell. This gives them a chance to have already been given sperm
from the males then bought by customers. Majority of guppies sold in lfs are already inbred, and that's
what the defects come from. Conclusion: female guppies cannot reproduce without a male having
given them sperm yet, and defects come from inbreeding of guppies(guppy from the same mothers
breeding within each other).
Plants? What are plants?
I like piranhas.

Post Tue May 08, 2012 12:15 pm
cgx2011 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

True that inbreeding is looked upon by some as bad but to other as a way of achieving a certain type of trait for example color morphs. I personally like a diverse genetic pool but when it comes to guppies I feel that they can sustain them selves. As long as you remove weak or deformed fishes from your stock you should be fine. My oldest sister started with 7 original guppies (2 males and 5 females) from petsmart about 4 years ago and now she has 500+ living (all descendents from the 7) in both of her 55 gallons. She feeds any deformed or slow growing one to her Oscars and her guppies are as big and prolific as ever. Occasionally she adds a few new fishes in for different color combinations in future fry. I woulds say same thing goes for platies,mollies and swords.
I usually think about it as if it was a situation in the wild where some fishes are stuck (confined) in pools and only have the ability to breed with there related counter parts. Usually the healthy ones live and the sick or deformed ones die due to predators (natural selection). I guess in a way its mimicking natural selection (if you are just looking for healthy prolific fishes and not a certain color or trait)

just putting my thoughts out there :D

Next

Return to Livebearers and Killifish