Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Fry Control

Fry Control

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm
stud_muffin Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Here is a thought guys.

I have a 29 gallon setup, it has 7 female bettas and a lone female platty. So a betta sorority tank with an odd ball!

I was thinking about adding some more platty's in there because thats what was originally stocked first. Ich destroyed the tank and i started over with bettas. Good idea?

I know that platty's will produce fry, do you think that the bettas are a good fry control?

Does anyone here have any experience with this? Is it cruel to have a fry control tank setup?

What other species do you guys suggest? I want to fill the middle of the tank because these fish are top water swimmers. Im also on a limited list because im away at school in Grand Forks, ND! Extremely limited!

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 pm
onepeece Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I tried that once, it didn't work out so well for me, no fry survived. it was a planted tank too.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 pm
ntxhuav_khang User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

So you want the bettas to run the tank and keep the plattys under control. I don't think seven female bettas will be able to keep up with platty fries. There probably end up over eating and die from that. It would work but prob not for long.
ntxhuav khang (soua)

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:22 am
Level 5 Member

ntxhuav_khang wrote:
So you want the bettas to run the tank and keep the plattys under control. I don't think seven female bettas will be able to keep up with platty fries. There probably end up over eating and die from that. It would work but prob not for long.

yeah thats the plan. hmmm well if the 7 females cant keep up what other species do you think will work out?

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am
Level 5 Member

onepeece wrote:
I tried that once, it didn't work out so well for me, no fry survived. it was a planted tank too.

oh i dont plan on keeping the fry! but the tank does have hiding places.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am
ntxhuav_khang User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

oscars...j/k...
ntxhuav khang (soua)

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I would suggest a small predator such as a jewel or dwarf pike cichlid. Oscars, obviously, would get too large and eat your female bettas. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 pm
onepeece Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

the betta's could only eat 2-3 fry before they get full, and the platy's have up to 20 babies each time around. i have glass fish that eat most fry, but the class fish don't last long in freshwater 'cause they are brackish water type's.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm
Level 5 Member

ntxhuav_khang wrote:
oscars...j/k...

haha if only they stayed 3-4 inches, cute monsters. They just become uglier when they are full grown IMO.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:48 pm
Level 5 Member

nkambae wrote:
I would suggest a small predator such as a jewel or dwarf pike cichlid. Oscars, obviously, would get too large and eat your female bettas. Good luck.

stu

I was looking into that earlier. I would like to add a pike but im kind of sketchy if he will leave the female bettas alone.

Maybe ill just add some tetras, i heard they will pick off fries.

Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 pm
ChengKo User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

stud_muffin wrote:
nkambae wrote:

stu

I was looking into that earlier. I would like to add a pike but im kind of sketchy if he will leave the female bettas alone.

Maybe ill just add some tetras, i heard they will pick off fries.

Tiger barbs--they work well. :)
Plants? What are plants?
I like piranhas.

Post Sat May 26, 2012 6:26 am
JackofClubs Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Aplocheilus Lineatus
Golden Wander Killifish
Available at petco and petsmart
Mine loved fry. It jump over and inch and a half out of the water into my breeder net that had a few fry in it :evil: but that sounds like what you are after. They generally stay near the surface. They can get pretty big though I don't know if it would be big enough to eat a betta.

Return to Livebearers and Killifish