Board index Fish Talk Livebearers and Killifish Q's about buying killifish eggs

Q's about buying killifish eggs

Discuss livebearers and killifish here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:03 pm
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hello everyone,
So i have decided to try out killifish this summer and get to know these fish better. For summer i wanted to do a little project just for fun and to keep me company. my project was buying and hatching killifish eggs.

but i have a question.

when you recieve the eggs, are they ready to hatch or close to hatching? or do i have to still incubate them for like a couple more months?

also i wanted to know if any members got any recomendations of where to buy good quality killifish eggs?

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 am
eraserbones Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

checkie_check wrote:
when you receive the eggs, are they ready to hatch or close to hatching? or do i have to still incubate them for like a couple more months?

If you are ordering non-annuals (like Aphyosemion, Epiplatys, most Fundulopanchax) then they only incubate for a couple of weeks anyway, so may be ready for hatching by the time they get to you. For annual fish the eggs may or may not arrive ready to hatch... it's something you'll have to discuss with the seller. Some sellers on aquabid will list their eggs as 'ready to hatch'.

I've had mixed results ordering eggs online so can't necessarily recommend any seller in particular. If you're lucky someone local will appear here and offer you eggs.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 12:51 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

If you haven't yet check out http://www.mkka.net/ they are a fairly active club with lots of local members who keep and breed killies.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 pm
small_fry_keeper User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

If you want some Killifish info go to the meeting in Aug. David Ramsey will be there. He has a lot of info...

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 pm
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks for all the replies. also do u mean the MFK meeting in augest?
i will probably buy some eggs on aquabid or ebay just to try it out. or maybe even buy a pair and try to breed them :)

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:11 pm
small_fry_keeper User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

No MAS Meeting in Roseville. David is the guy that got me hooked on Killifish. If you want pairs get a hold of a MKKA member. They will get you set up. If you get out west by Willmar I will sell you a pair...

Post Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 am
Mrt Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

small_fry_keeper

Hi,
I am new to this board and am getting back into having fish again after a long time and having to deal with a lot because of a kid running a stop sign in 99.
I am wondering what KilliFish you have. When I was in High School in the mid 70s I found out about KilliFish and wanted to get some. But back then certain fish were harder to find.
I live in Gibbon which is just north of New Ulm and am a Vet and go to the St. Cloud VA and one of the people that helps me with the sleep problem I have lives by Wilmar and works at the St. Cloud VA.

What variety (ies) of KilliFish do you have? I am looking for sets of three of the the more colorful varieties of KilliFish or getting eggs and would like to get eggs from diff. breeding pairs for the genetics. I am looking for the sets of three to be a male and two female as i have read that the younger males tend to be a little rougher on just one female and do better with two or three females.

What varieties of KilliFish do you have? I can come out to Wilmar or set things up with my person at the VA to pick them up for me. I raise garlic and he loves the garlic so I can trade fish for garlic with him or pay him for them so he gets his money back one way or another. lol

I am really looking forward to getting into KilleFish as well as some other fish. I have two larger tanks for Community Tanks that I am setting up and will have a variety of fish in them and will have seperate tanks for the different varieties of killiFish I get. I do want to be getting into breeding them to help others get into having KilliFish.

Thanks

Return to Livebearers and Killifish