Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Air Pump Size for Sponge Filter

Air Pump Size for Sponge Filter

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat May 23, 2020 1:47 pm
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I want to set up a 5.5 gallon Betta tank with a Matten filter, and switch a 10 gallon to a fry grow out, and a 16 gallon breeding tank to cube sponge filters. They will be set up next to each other. I have never used sponge filters before. Would it be better to have one air pump to all three or different pumps for each because they are different sizes. Either way, what size air pump do I need? Also, how long should the new sponge filters be in the tank with the old filter before I take out the old filter?

Post Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Matten filters and sponge filters have very low load, so most small air pumps would work. Choose your pump by wattage. In your case, I would get one air pump with a 3-way air manifold to optimize water movement for three different size tanks.

Post Sun May 24, 2020 4:06 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Leave old media in tank for six weeks before pulling it out. Place old media on side of Matten returning water or leave on airline if your manifold has enough ports.
Consider using Matten for all three tanks. Where you place Matten will give you six isolated areas for fish. Plus you can use same pump you would use for 3 tanks with traditional foam filters.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Thanks for the advice. I found a Tetra Whisper air pump for 10-30 gallons (3.1 watts) in my stash. Would that work for one tank and then get a Tetra Whisper 30-60 (4.0 watts) with two outlets for the other two?

Post Sat May 30, 2020 2:59 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Yes, it would work.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun May 31, 2020 6:58 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I offer seeded sponges for free to any hobbyists in the Twin Cities who needs them. These are Hydro IV's and V's that have been in my tanks for 5 - 6 months and can provide instant cycling.

Willie

Return to Tanks and Equipment