Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment battery powered air pump

battery powered air pump

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:22 pm
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Does anyone know of a good battery powered air pump? I am looking for some to run my aquariums in the case of a power outage. I have a 29, 16, and 10 gallons running on aquaclear hang on backs. I would like to put the biological filter media on top of an air stone if the power ever goes out. I also have a 5 gallon that runs on a matten filter powered by a tetra whisper 10-30. I looked at some models on amazon but I am not sure what sizes I need or which ones are of good quality.
Laura

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:10 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Stores that sell sporting goods have a selection of battery-operated air pumps used for bait mainly. These pumps will work for a few hours provided batteries are relatively new. Quality is about the same amongst brands. Greater wattage, more powerful the pump.

Alternative #1, keep a marine battery on a slow trickle charge that turns off and on automatically. A power inverter will also be needed. When power is lost, disconnect the marine battery from the charger and connect the inverter to the battery. Then plug any electrical devices into inverter including refrigeration, microwave, etc.

Alternative #2, skip marine battery and charger. Purchase an inverter that connects to an automobile battery when the engine is running. The inverter will provide plenty of power for all electrical needs while the engine is running. Do not leave inverter connected when the automobile engine is turned off.

Alternative #3, purchase a generator. Typically gasoline powered but there are LP gas-powered as well. I own a 5,000-watt Generac brand that was pricey as are Honda and other well-known brands. Checked Home Depot and they offer a no-name brand 1,000-watt generator for $150. I should fire mine up every six months to be sure it will start and run but I do not. It has saved my fish on about 3 occasions over the years.

Fish may not need aeration 24/7. It depends on tank volume and stocking density. A single fish in a 10 gal may live for 24 hours after aeration stops. 30-40 large fish in 200 gal tank would not live six hours after aeration stopped.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I'm set up for option 2 that Bob talks about. Then a couple of heavy gauge extension cords to get from your car to the fish room. With four cars in the family, can go for days....... (hope to never test that theory)

Return to Tanks and Equipment