Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Temperature Controller Recommendations

Temperature Controller Recommendations

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:07 pm
scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Looking for recommendations for an external controller that I can plug my heater(s) into to avoid a stuck on heater failure. I haven't had a heater fail yet but ...

My tanks are in my basement which is 65 degrees all winter. I must use heaters to keep the temp up at 78 degrees in each tank. I'll need 4 separate controllers for my 4 bigger tanks so looking to find reliable yet inexpensive ones.

I've researched and found Inkbird, Finix, JBL, Jehmco sells them too.

Anyone using one that you're happy with and would recommend?

Scott.

Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have this one on my 5 gallon bayite Temperature Controller BTC201 Pre-Wired Digital Outlet Thermostat, 2 Stage Heating and Cooling Mode, 110V - 240V 10A from amazon. It's not marketed for aquariums but it works for me and there are many reviews from fishkeepers. But it might be more expensive than what you are looking for. You could look at the king of diy's video on temperature controllers, that might be cheaper.

scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I ended up purchasing the Inkbird ITC-308S after much research and reading reviews on various controllers. Apparently, it's important to make sure you get the 'S' model as this model has the disconnectable rubberized temperature probe intended for use submerged in an aquarium. If this one works out ok in one of my tanks, I plan on purchasing a few more for other tanks.

I found it new on eBay for $28 with free shipping.

I'll connect it up and post my thoughts after it has been running a while.

Scott.
Attachments
49376409911_0dbe3e89ea_c.jpg
49375959313_8a501953f8_c.jpg

scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks for the response Laura,

We posted about the same time and I missed your comment!

I'll look into the controller you have and read up on it. I plan on purchasing a few more controllers in the near future after this new Inkbird has run for a while and make a decision at that time

Scott.

Return to Tanks and Equipment