Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Front Panel Glass Broke

Front Panel Glass Broke

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:55 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

While I was away camping for a couple days the front panel of my 75 gallon cracked. I’m currently in the process of creating an emergency home in some large Rubbermaid tubs. Is there anything I should think of other than stabilize the heat, providing air exchange and some form of filtration? Has anyone ever had issues with these tubs failing in any way?

Also, could my tank have come off level or something? I have a camera on it and no outside interactions occurred and no rocks were moved.

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:25 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Tubs are ok for a few days

Cracked glass may indicate tank was not assembled properly. However, a tank needs to be supported on all four edges evenly. Use a level to see all 4 sides are level. Check across corners for level. After placing tank, recheck level around top of tank. If it is all level, fill with water. Recheck level.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

If properly filtered and water changed frequently, what will go wrong if it goes past a few days?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am
Level 20 Member

I owned an off brand tank that was good for a few years. Then I bought a second one, both were level. Second one cracked glass side in 2 months. IMO, that was stress from poor construction.
Check all brands, better and cheap low builders; all will state tank must be placed on level surface.

Stress from poor construction or improper installation will vary in severity. The result is failure time varies.

Better brands guarantee the tank to original owner.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:40 pm
baileyje User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Do you think this is a bigger issue with larger tanks?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm
Level 20 Member

baileyje wrote:
Do you think this is a bigger issue with larger tanks?

Depends on builder. Aqueon and Marineland build most tanks and it would be very rare to see any of their tanks fail.
Then there are small shops building a fraction of what Aqueon sells. I would tend to shy away from these builders unless you talk with a number of owners that can vouch for the quality build.
Again part of this is on the tank buyer providing a level stand that can bear the weight without loss of integrity.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 am
baileyje User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

After inspecting the stand I noticed one of the top corners started to separate and there is a 1/2 inch gap. I believe the inexpensive pine stand failed and caused the level to fail.

Building a new stand this weekend that will be much better constructed. Also upgrading to a 72 inch 125 in the process. So there is some silver lining.

Return to Tanks and Equipment