Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment LED Lighting - 40 Breeder

LED Lighting - 40 Breeder

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:23 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Looking for LED lighting advice for 40 breeders (36" ). Something somewhat basic that will able me to see the African cichlids I have. Must have a built in timer and the blue moon night light too. I also need the light to maintain java fern and anubias nana but nothing requiring high light. Would never use the thunderstorm, lightning, cloud cover, multiple color, remote options that some include.

There are many brands/styles (Beamswork, Current, Fluval, Nicrew, Marineland, etc) to choose from when looking at Amazon and just not sure which LED lights people have had good luck with.

Thanks,

Scott.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 pm
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I use 3 beamsworks on my tanks including my 40 breeder. They all grow low tech plants for me pretty well. Two have blue light option. Some can be purchased with timer connector. I plug mine into a timer power strip. I have had one of them get half way submerged while running and it still has never skipped a beat. Oh, and they are inexpensive :D
Had two 20 long low tech tanks going once with the same plants. One with a beamswork 10 gallon light and one with a current satellite 20 gallon light. beamswork grew plants and the current did not. had to get rid of it.
My $0.02
NeoNate

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks for your input Nate -

I ordered a couple of the BeamsWork EA 36" and the accompanying timer/dimmers for two 40 breeders i have.

Will comment on how the fish look when I receive the light.

BTW - the multifaciatus are doing great.

Scott.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:09 pm
scott Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

The Beamswork EA FSPEC 36" lights with accompanying add-on timer/dimmer are set up on two of the 40 gallon tanks.

I like the simplicity of setting the timer for daylight and the separate timer for the moonlight. I also like the option of dimming either the daylight or moonlight separately. The moonlight was way too bright so I dimmed it down some. Also, the low profile, low power consumption, and low heat are nice. The anubius was pearling after a water change at a tear in one of the leaves so I guess that's a good start.

The red and green LED's are too bright though. They show up as little spotlights on the substrate and are noticeable. Too bad there isn't a way to dim certain colors with the add-on timer/dimmer. May end up sticking small pieces of electrical tape over the red and green LED's sometime in the future. The red and green colors are probably needed for the plants though.

Overall happy with the new lights. Fish look good and hopefully the anubius and java fern grow under these lights.
Attachments
48172968892_4bd5410acd_z.jpg

Return to Tanks and Equipment