Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment water change pump

water change pump

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:28 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm about to get some big storage tanks for mixing saltwater. They're going to be on the floor, though, lower than the tank, so I'm going to need some kind of pump to move water out of the tanks.

I can think of about 100 ways to solve this problem, but am interested in what other folks are doing. I don't care much about high flow-rate but it would be nice to have something that's easy to switch on and off and doesn't instantly corrode in salt water.

I've been imagining a non-submersible pump so all I have to drop into the barrel is a hose end, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:31 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If you are buying commercial storage tanks, each has a threaded bulkhead at the base of the tank. It is relatively easy to place an inline pump outside of the tank but may require some reducing pipe from bulkhead to pump.

Can also close off the bulkhead and drop a pump into tank and pump out as submersible. This type of pump will grow some nasty slime algae on pump and hose but does not seem to harm fish.

No matter what size storage container is, get a pump that delivers satisfactory flow rate to height water needs to be raised (typically 5 ft). If the pump requires 30 min to pump 30 gal to 5 ft head, you will not like that pump (too slow). Conversely, if the pump delivers 2000 gal per min most folks would not like that pump either (too expensive and lot of splashing). However, a ball valve post pump will reduce flow rate.

I like Mag Drive pumps because they can be placed in line (outside of storage container) or submerged (inside storage container). Also, each model had a chart indicating flow rate at various head heights. Mag Drives will not corrode in salt water (be sure to get model with stainless steel screws).

As for power switch, plug the pump into a power strip. Various timers could also be added. Pretty sure there are solenoid valves that will turn a pump off too.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:02 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thank you for the advice! I bought a Danner 'Magdrive 3' and so far it's suiting me just fine, both for mixing and for pumping water out of the storage tank. We'll see how it does as the water level in the storage tank drops.

Return to Tanks and Equipment