Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Heavy Duty Shelf - DeWalt - Thoughts & Opinions plz...

Heavy Duty Shelf - DeWalt - Thoughts & Opinions plz...

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

They included an instructional too, take a peek and see how this shelf is constructed... Thinking about getting it, unless anyone here knows it has flaws......

Click here - Home Depot website

willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I have racks like this one holding up 125's and 75's. They work great. Takes about 10 minutes to put together and can hold 2,000 lb per rack. A couple of things to watch.

1. The shelfing is useless. It'll warp once it gets wet. Fortunately, it's the rails that hold the tank up so you'll need 18" deep tanks. I put the tanks on top of a 1" pink styrofoam sheet, but that's probably overkill.
2. Measure the outer dimensions of your tank precisely and check the rack dimensions. Sometimes 1/8" will kill ya!
3. I don't use the top rack, which interferes with the upper tank. With 2,000 LB of water weight, the stands are rock solid even without the top.

Willie

Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Thanks Willie :)

Thinking about getting for 33gL tanks, so they are not as wide as the rack, so what does that mean about #1, this won't work for me? ... Currently have a rack like it, but cheaper made, and it was approved by many here. It works great, but is to wide for where I want to put it now :(

When I saw it has metal strap bars to stop the beams from twisting I was like OOOOMMMMMGGGGG, it looks 1000x stronger then the one I have... it works well until the board gets wet?

willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

That's been my experience. Tanks really rest on their edges and the boards will not hold, especially after getting wet. If you have 18" deep tanks, you'll need 18" deep racks.

Willie

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Using Edsal brand Z beam racks. Edsal makes other racks than Z beam too.
Ends (legs) available 18" wide or 24" wide and other widths also
Beam lengths 5, 6 or 8 ft. The 6 ft beam is actually 73" between legs.
Height is 6 foot for Z beam.

It is likely they have shorter and less wide racks but Z beam is 14 gauge welded steel and Z construction adds a lot of strength to steel beam.
Like a complete unknown

willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I have one of these with a 125 on the bottom, a 75 and a 37 cube on the top. Another one has a 135 on the bottom, with 2 X 37 cubes and 1 X 30 cube on top. So each is carrying 2,400 lb of water alone. Rock solid.

Willie

Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I won't be anywhere near the weight limit... I'll have something like 250-300lbs on each shelf. I am not going to be going overboard on tanks like I did in the past, lol.

Thanks all for the awesome info :D

Return to Tanks and Equipment