Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Single Canister for 125 Gallon

Single Canister for 125 Gallon

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 pm
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Having a 125 Gallon tank in my living room, want this to kind of be a nice center piece for my house. Getting a 3D background, have a matching canopy, really want to make this tank look nice. As such I don't want to have a bunch of equipment showing so I want to move to a single canister solution. Right now I'm running two AC110s and 1 SunSun 403B and have no issues with water quality or clarity.

Tank has 40 Tropheus - so overstocked

I was doing a bit of research and was looking at the Eheim 2260/2262's - however after taking a step back people are using these filters as a single canister filter on their 240+ gallon tanks. So I'm thinking these are a bit overkill for my tank and stock.

So that leaves me in the FX6ish range right? Are there any other filters in this range I should be looking at?

Post Tue May 30, 2017 12:46 pm
RedDevilKing User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I run a FX5 on my 180g and it works great. But I'm not overstocked :-) ... the best solution for you will probably depend more on the number (and amount) of your water changes vs. the type/number of filters you use.

Post Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 pm
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Water changes are a simple thing that I actually enjoy doing (is that odd?) so I'm not concerned with that in the slightest. I just want to make sure that if I'm looking to spend a couple hundred dollars I do so as wisely as possible and I like to come here because these forums seem a lot more rational then others? I put a question mark there as it's not that I'm trying to bash other forums and their members, it's just the typical advice is to get the biggest (and most expensive) filter there is out there and then even that sometimes isn't enough. That's where I got the idea of the Eheim 2260/2262 and was actually going to buy one this weekend, but I'm glad I held off and took a step back from the project so to speak (the project being finding a single canister solution for my tank and stock) and am now thinking that while the 2260/2262 is a fantastic filter, it's a bit much for what I need and need to spend.

Budget wise, I guess that term is rather fluid as I could always use my current filter setup and not spend a dime yet at the same time I was about to spend almost $500 two days ago. So somewhere in between there would be ideal - and if the filter has 5/8 ID tubing that's a plus so I can use a Hydor In-Line heater - again, showing less equipment is goal here.

Post Wed May 31, 2017 10:45 am
RSM490 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

If you like the Sunsun, just pick up one more. better to clean one, then clean the other later.
Looks like it's rated for 100 gallon so two should work fine.

Post Wed May 31, 2017 10:54 am
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I actually pulled the trigger on a FX6 - Big Als is having a Memorial Day Sale, 15% off so got one for $290 Shipped.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 pm
Anne Thynne Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I love Fluval FX6. To me it is by far the best canister filter in market.

Return to Tanks and Equipment