Board index Aquaria Topics Tanks and Equipment Quarry Hill Tank (Rochester)

Quarry Hill Tank (Rochester)

Tanks, hard goods, decor, shipping... everything non-living goes here!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 pm
Jband94 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

So I just acquired the tank that was previously used at quarry hill nature center in Rochester mn. I want to use it at an aquarium from my arowana. Trouble is, I have only seen this tank filled maybe halfway before.. The 4 sides are 1/4 inch glass while the bottom and frame are steel. The bottom appears bowed but still in good shape. I can get some pictures later as well, just looking for input as to whether or not this beast may or may not hold water to the top..
Attachments
00l0l_eeSbl2gKPUF_1200x900-1-1.jpg
Only picture I currently have.
00l0l_eeSbl2gKPUF_1200x900-1-1.jpg (179.67 KiB) Viewed 307 times

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:52 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Arowana need long tank of 6" minimum I think. Tank image is interesting but does not tell all details about tank.
Glass thickness for tanks can be calculated if the length and height of each sheet is known.

So the bottom is not tempered glass but a sheet of steel? I would be concerned about sealant between glass side and steel bottom giving way as two materials do not have same mechanical properties. Again it is not clear from image how glass is joined to steel bottom, so perhaps there is a large area for sealant.

I would guess that steel bottom would need to be 1/4" thick with braces on outside of bottom to prevent sides from bowing out. If steel bottom was thicker, then braces would not be needed on the bottom. Anything over 4' long with 1/4" glass would bow out I suspect. Therefore, I would want braces across top and bottom to prevent bowing on longer tanks.

Welded steel frame likely provides great strength to corners, more than glass to glass with silicone joint. As previously stated, I doubt the frame can prevent bowing on a long sheet of glass without braces on top and bottom. Braces on top could be added with holes for bolts.

Maybe the best idea would be to set the tank up on a patio or next to floor drain, add water and measure tank as it fills for bowing at various points on the tank and with various amounts of water in the tank.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am
Jband94 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I know my info is vague and I apologize... I will most definitely get more pictures and measurements. I just wanted get a feeler out there to see if others thought it realistic to modify or use this thing as it is. I really appreciate your response.

Return to Tanks and Equipment