Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Do common plechos eat plant leaves and up root them ?

Do common plechos eat plant leaves and up root them ?

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Blkangel80 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I have 2 common plechos there not big now but
I know these suckers get huge and alot of people
Online say they eat holes in the plant leaves and uproot
Plants ? FML . I can't imagine how I'm gonna catch
Them ? I don't want to f- up all my plants .

batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

You probably don't need to make two threads for the same question.

But yes they can. But not all fish are equal. Each have their own temperament. So short answer is they might. When they get bigger, they don't exactly try to be careful when they swim around, so bigger fish sometimes uproot plants. They typically just clean the algae off of leaves but yes sometimes they might eat holes in them as well. I keep mine well fed so I haven't had too much of an issue. But every once in awhile I lose a plant. They haven't destroyed everything but it's no biggie to me. That stuff just happens so I don't get too caught up in trying to keep everything perfect. Fish get bigger. Plants will grow back.

If it's feasible, have a separate tank where you can grow more plants as a back up.

Level 2 Member

I want a fast response lol that's why I post 2 ;) but
In the future I'll just post 1 !

Level 2 Member

Thanks for always answering my questions your very helpful and nice !

batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Blkangel80 wrote:
I want a fast response lol

Then it helps to only post once about it, otherwise we have to read through two threads. I don't know how it is on here, but most sites have rules on forum ettiquette, so just posting one thread should do it. But you're welcome. I hope it helps.

Do you feed them fresh veggies regularly?

Level 2 Member

No I've never fed them veggies ? Does it mess up the water ?

batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Not for me. I give mine cucumbers, carrots, and zuchinni regularly. For the cucumbers and zuchinni, scrape out the pits. The seeds and inside do dirty the tank quite a bit.

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers