Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Need pleco help

Need pleco help

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:14 am
lonewolf Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Let me begin with the basics.. 55 gl. with jeboa canister...fake plants so far, tank temp is 77-78 deg ...We have a 3-4 in tall marble angle a gourami and 7 guppies.
This tank is primarily my fiance's tank but I tank care of the logbook and keeping track of water conditions... I would like to try a pleco but feel I need more info as all I have gotten have died with in 1-3 months. This time around I want to be more prepared...
I have learned that there are many kinds of these fish and many have number names of which at this point mean little to me.
We would like one that will help keep the algea down and yet be attractive... I have also heard that they are solitary types..however have seen 3 8-9 in plecos in a 55 with several large goldfish of two diff types, ok im getting a bit broad here but telling what I know. My guess for the losses is most likely to reason...1 lack of food we tried zuchini..but that one died within a month...If I am to try this again I want to be more mentally prepared So far I am pretty sure that our prior plecos were of the common type...
So looking for advice on aglea control with fish and help chooseing a pleco...and or possibly a algea eater and a pleco??
Any advise will be greatly appreciated..I like my lil woman happy with her healthy tank, she is quite discourage with her previous attemps??

Thank you to all who offer advice..... BTW we are in a shopping mood for these new additions. So feel free with offers..

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:54 pm
Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

My personal favorite pleco for algae eating is the bushynose pleco. They eat plenty of algae all their lives unlike the common pleco and the don't get any larger than about 5".
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:59 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Tank under discussion is 55 gal with marble angel, gourami and few guppies.
These remaining fish are healthy but plecos died. It that correct?

During last few months 3 common (not sure but think these were common plecos) plecos were added to tank but each died, again with no harm to other fish in tank. Is this correct?

My comment:
I have mistreated a few common plecos over the years with incorrect water chemistry and incorrect tank cohabitants. Common plecos are tough and were not affected by this abuse.
There are other plecos that are quite a few dollars to obtain. These more expensive plecos are not as robust as common pleco.

Ancistrus are a pleco genus but do not have bony shell (not armoured). As young fish they do eat algae but when older prefer food placed in tank by keeper.

To keep algae levels low, reduce the amount of light tank is exposed to each day. Also increase water changes and percent of water changed to lower the nitrogen promoting algae growth.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:59 pm
Level 20 Member

Tank under discussion is 55 gal with marble angel, gourami and few guppies.
These remaining fish are healthy but plecos died. It that correct?

During last few months 3 common (not sure but think these were common plecos) plecos were added to tank but each died, again with no harm to other fish in tank. Is this correct?

My comment:
I have mistreated a few common plecos over the years with incorrect water chemistry and incorrect tank cohabitants. Common plecos are tough and were not affected by this abuse.
There are other plecos that are quite a few dollars to obtain. These more expensive plecos are not as robust as common pleco.

Ancistrus are a pleco genus but do not have bony shell (not armoured). As young fish they do eat algae but when older prefer food placed in tank by keeper.

To keep algae levels low, reduce the amount of light tank is exposed to each day. Also increase water changes and percent of water changed to lower the nitrogen promoting algae growth.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:54 pm
lonewolf Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I would say that I have tried plecos say 3 times over a yr... I will assume they were of the common type. We have had random guppies die but no clue how old they were.. some at least 2-3 yrs.
I feel the need to add that we have a lighted volcano bubbler that emits a red light. inside this volcano aglae grows and not your normal green type but a rubbery black type that only grows inside where the red led light is. and well they all seem to find there way into this hiding spot..... I have no clue if this algae is harmfull or not???
As for the regular algae growth it is not a big issue as we dont keep lights on during the day, we just figured a pleco would help with keeping bottom of tank clean and are neat to have.
As for water conditions the tank stays in the safe zone cant quote the numbers tho... we do monthly water changes and filter cleans also. For the most part I would say we have a pretty stable tank.

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:02 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

let's get some obvious questions out of the way. what are you feeding them? plecos are usually really easy to care for and the ones i've had the least problems with.

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 pm
JKhang Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Lonewolf,

Check your PM. I have an offer you may be interested in.

Back when I began raising plecos, I used them as a way to control algae growth in my aquarium. They did just this but I soon realized they also needed another source of food. Judging from your post, I'm going to assume you're not feeding them a staple diet of veggie pellets and other food sticks? If not, you should.

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

that's kind of what it sounded like to me too. plecos should typically be pretty easy to care for if you give them food.

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:17 am
lonewolf Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

We tried zuchini just not sure if it was eating it.? I saw mentioned food pellets or stick?? I will assume that they starved...I have read they will eat almost any garden veggie?? What brand of dry veggie food??? is there an easy way to feed fresh veggies??
Thnk you all for the help so far !!!

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:23 am
Level 20 Member

Forgot to add many plecos need wood in tank. They eat wood and obtain something from it required to keep them healthy. However, wood is not providing carbs, fats or protein.
Those major nutrients have to come from food added to tank. Many brands of veggie disks on the market. I buy those with spirulina content but that is for other fish that may share veggie disks with plecos.
There are some plecos that require meaty diet to reproduce but not to stay alive.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:54 am
Rodent Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

So when you feed Plecos garden veggies do you blanch them first? Cut them up into small chunks? Hang them from a veggie hanger? Or just throw them into the bottom of the tank? These are all questions for anyone to answer not asking Lonewolf if he was doing it :D I just want to know how people do it :idea:

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

you can blanch them. It depends on the veggie. When I do zuchinni or cucumber, I just slice it up, clean out the seeds, and hang them at the bottom with a clip. The plecos find them pretty quick. For carrots, I'll use frozen ones and blanch them. Makes it easier for them to nibble on them. I've tried celery too, but they never eat them. Lettuce is hit or miss. Sometimes they're just not in the mood for lettuce, and other times they'll devour it.

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:20 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I've put in zucchini and cucumber, raw and sliced in half (with the skin on). As long as they get tied down at the bottom, the plecos devour them. Still, algae wafers (with 40% protein) is probably the most nutritious source. The wafers never foul water and the plecos never seem to get tired of it.

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers