Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Bn Pleco in Summer Pond

Bn Pleco in Summer Pond

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:24 pm
Leafray Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Hi guys
I have three albino long fin plecos and two blue eyed plecos. I set up a 700 gallon small pond in my backyard in May, it is made out of tarp. I currently have a few goldfish in there and u was wondering if I could add a few plecos into my pond? Will the plecos eat through the tarp? Please answer ASAP!
Thank you

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:11 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Plecos do not eat tarp.

Tarp is a short version of the word tarpaulin. Tarpaulin is waterproof or water resistant flexible material. There are many methods to achieve water resistance. Some of those methods involve the use of chemicals that may leach into the water. Subsequently the chemicals poison the fish.
Other tarpaulin is created from non toxic substances added to or part of flexible material chemically. These substances would not leach into the water and fish would be a zero risk.

Determine how your tarp was created, what materials are involved. The best material would be pond liner. There are numerous brands. Obviously if the item is being sold as pond liner, it is safe for aquatic life or it would be quite a surprise if pond liner was not safe.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:16 pm
Level 20 Member

Another major concern is temperature. In native waters plecos live in temperatures between 72 and 86 degrees F. Currently the overnight temperatures are mid 50s F. Perhaps plecos are surviving this extremely low temperature but it has to be stressing the fish. Ultimately, the stress may become too great and result is dead plecos.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:36 pm
Leafray Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Thank you passionfish, when I bought the tarp, it came under the SAFE FOR LIVESTOCK label thing. Temperatures in my pond range from 69 at night to 75 in the day ( high of upper 80s ) I keep them in a heated tank of 75 degrees in the summer and 70 in the winter, as long as they do not eat the tarp on accident then I think that they will be fine

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:48 pm
Level 20 Member

It is getting warmer thank goodness. Bit surprised that overnight temperature remains above 70 but if so your fish are safe.

Have not kept gold fish for 50 years. Do they attempt to eat plecos? How do the two species get along? Is there wood in the pond?
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:56 pm
Leafray Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I have a big thing of drift wood with some Java fern on it, the goldfish don't seem to bother the plecos at all ( the younger ones do nip at my long finned a little, but it learns that it is not food the older it gets). And yes I am very surprised as well, all my other ponds dip under 70 quite a bit but this new pond seems to keep its temp extra well. ( good? Bad? ) the only problem I've had is that the pleco tend to think that goldfish eggs are food...

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:28 am
aniqster Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I've been keeping goldfish (Ryukin) all my life. They will definitely eat pleco fry and young pleco. I had 4 breeding pairs of Bushy Nose and found out the hard way.
On the other hand, larger pleco (common pleco) will suck on the slime coat of slower goldfish, and can do some damage.

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:44 pm
Leafray Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Yeah the goldfish seem to think that pleco fry is a nutritious snack,( which it probably is ). But yeah, I added the pleco said into my pond and they seem to be doing great. Thanks for all the replies

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:43 am
Led Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Most fish are opportunistic feeders. Some that you don't see as carnivorous...like goldfish will not turn their nose up at easy protein aka fry! :)
Led

Bill Belicheat win percentage with the Browns a whopping .450 and .7 with the Cheatriots. Cheating will do wonders to your win percentage.

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am
Leafray Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

:lol: yes, I did collect three extra plecos from the pond
Led wrote:
Most fish are opportunistic feeders. Some that you don't see as carnivorous...like goldfish will not turn their nose up at easy protein aka fry! :)

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers