Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers bushy nose catastrophe

bushy nose catastrophe

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm
aniqster Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I recently moved all my bushy from a 30 gal to a 55 gal tank. The tank has a new DIY 3D background, gravel and plants. It was cycled for over a week and my sword tails, cherry red shrimp, gouramis, albino and calico bushy nose breeding pairs are thriving.

BUT...

I had over 75 bushy nose fry which got transferred along with the parents, and they disappeared within 3-4 days.
All 6 chocolate/red bushy nose bought from the auction died within 3 days. (normally I move the fry to a 75 gal once they have reached 1 inch or so, but these were smaller)

pH and hardness hasn't changed. The shrimp started breeding within 2 days of transferring. All other fish seem happy. Have no clue why I lost SO many kids!

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

The gouramis ate them?

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 am
aniqster Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Haha..I hope not. I've had multiple batches with the gouramis in the tank. These guys were a little less than half an inch and the gouramis aren't full grown. I wonder if they are all actually hiding in a secret pleco cave under the plants, waiting...plotting...

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 am
Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Could be wedged in between background and glass, I have seen these things wedge themselves through some amazingly small spaces
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:07 am
aniqster Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm still not seeing many fry around. But yesterday I lost a female and the weird thing was that her stomach was HUGE. Do Bushy Nose get any sort of bloat? This female was about 4-5 years old and was a constant breeder.

None of my pleco's seem to be taking algae wafers (I'm trying 4 different varieties) any more. They readily take flake food if it hits the bottom, as well as some veggies. though.

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers