Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Hypancistrus debilittera, L129

Hypancistrus debilittera, L129

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:51 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well, I've killed my Congo River biotope. That's the bad news.

The good news I'm going to have a Pleco! One of my fav fish.

I've got this white 'fuzz' on my African root wood, and underneath the fuzz is all this slime, ah... stuff. Supposedly, it's all harmless and will eventually go away - they say in 2-3 weeks. But I've had mine for I think about 8. It keeps the tank cloudy and grayish and clogs the filter tube. Mine, like others I've read about, is only on the light part of the wood (not the grayish colored wood) and is supposedly there because the wood is not 'dead' yet. But it's harmless and doesn't bother the fish. Cleaning the tank, which I've been doing every three days, is a mess and the stuff goes flying off into the water no matter how well I clean the wood in a bucket of tank water, and makes the tank WORSE. The uptake tube on the filter gets clogged and the whole cycle starts all over again. Never had this problem with the wood I used to get, the wood with the slate screwed on the bottom.

I've had it up to HERE and so I'm getting a Pitbull/Chocolate Zebra Pleco. I read they eat this stuff up. Will be good to have a pleco again.

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I would pull the wood, boil it, and scrub it good with a scotch brite pad, just to remove it, I have done that in the past with good results.
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:55 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Hi, Nzac. I've nothing large enough to boil it in. And I've scrubbed it twice with a scrubby in used tank water. That gunk does NOT wanna go away.

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:23 pm
Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Place wood in a bucket, boil water, pour in bucket, repeat until it is submerged in very hot water. Or maybe just try using regular untreated tap water, the chlorine may help since that is why clorine is added to tap water.
no guarantees but may help the situation.
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Just got a call - a call!!! Is that usual? - from the place online I got my little pleco from. He's been shipped and I'll have him tomorrow morning! :D

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Waiting... Waiting... He's here!

And he doesn't eat algae.

(THUD) Sound of mk's head hitting desk. Besides the gentle gurgle of water from the tank filter you can hear being mumbled, "I give up. I give up."

But wait! It's not a Chocolate Zebra pleco!!! It's a Chocolate pleco! Great! Loves algae! But grows to like a foot! (THUD, THUD, THUD) Head smacking desk.

L129...

http://images1.ratemyfishtank.com/photo ... 5616_3.jpg

What I got...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_u2IKEjM6gDM/TMWdc ... colate.jpg

My pics...

And there's a temminckii on the way because I thought I was getting a meat eater and not a herbivore.

When I grow up I'm getting a real life.

mk

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I read in a thread from 2007 or 2008 that all Ancistrus are now tanked raised. Passionfish, you gave wonderful info. So, I guess I'm getting an Ancistrus sp. And probably, you think?, the "Chocolate Pleco" is also a sp.

I remember getting a teeny, tiny temminiki 'back in the day' at AWOF. S/he was so small! Someone in the TCs had bred them. They were the real deal with white on the fins... And I can't remember, did they have white spots, too? The white on the fins was diagnostic for a temminiki.

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well, I'm getting a refund. I gave the seller a call and explained I wanted refunded the difference between the two fish - the one I ordered, $20 and the one I got, $8. He's refunding the entire amount. That's nice. He said he just saw "chocolate" and so gave me the Chocolate/Albino pleco. Easy mistake. I had the choice of him sending me what I ordered or getting a refund. Of course I took the refund as three plecos are three plecos too many! LOL :D :D :D I'll do business with them again.

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

They're selling a Chocolate/Albino pleco on Aquabid for $37!!!! Sheese! They're not that rare, actually.

Also on Aquabid is a pleco that is similar to the 'original' temminki I remember from the 90s. They are so cute!
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1397782485

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers