Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Catfish growth

Catfish growth

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am
xiong09 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I find it amazing how fast my catfishes grow compare to my other fishes. I remember buying a small 2"-3" red tail cat a few months ago and now it is one of the largest fish in my tank. This is true with my bull head catfish. Does anyone know why catfish seem to have accelerated growth compare to other fishes?

Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 pm
SupeDM User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Has alot to do with amount they eat and the fact that they are growing at a rate that is somewhat consistant with size they will obtain in nature. In less than a year that Red Tail Cat will be 2 feet long and be extremely difficult to house in an aquarium. This is the reason they should not be sold in the aquarium hobby. Combine it with the fact that in 2 years they will be able to swallow whole pretty much anything that can be placed in with them including small children and housepets. They are unsuitable for home Aquaria.
125 gallon Mixed African Cichlid
125 gallon Furcifer Kigoma 90 gallon Mixed Malawi
75 gallon Mbuna growout
5x55 gallon Peacock colonies
40 breeder Furcifer Ruzibra growing out.
5x20 High growouts and projects.
55 gallon Archocentrus Semperfasciatus

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

So no swimming lessons for kitty or bathing your newborn in the show tank then ?
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm
xiong09 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Yeah it makes sense. I don't know if the red tail gets a lot food because there are many other fishes in my tank.

Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm
xiong09 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

mister malcontent wrote:
So no swimming lessons for kitty or bathing your newborn in the show tank then ?

Lol Definitely not.

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers