Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Black Cories are home!

Black Cories are home!

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:33 pm
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hi all,

I just had to share that my first piscine residents of the new 46 gallon bowfront are out of quarantine and settling into their new home quite nicely. They are 9 Corydoras sp. Schultzei Black. I'm abysmal at fish pictures, but here is one, that at least is semi in focus.

They are actually far cuter then this not very flattering picture. But at least you get the idea.

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:54 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Very nice, they look happy and healthy. Did you get these from Rich(xingu)? If not you should drop him a pm, he's been breeding these guys successfully for quite a while now, and might have some good pointers on food and care to help them thrive.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:41 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Love watching cories school but not sure if all species exhibit schooling.
This species is a good looker and schooling would icing on the cake.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm
Level 4 Member

Phil- I got them off aquabid, quite a steal, if I say so my self. I will be sure to drop Rich a line on them. They're still juvies, but are doing well in their new home.

Bob- I would definitely classify them as solid shoalers. They do group up from time to time, you usually see them in chunks of 3-4 in the tank. Then they will split off, and re-group later. Not the classic "schooling" behavior I have seen in videos of large groups of cories, where they move like flocks of birds along the substrate- a sight to behold. Still they are a fun group, healthy and very enjoyable to watch.

I also got a positive ID on them from British Corydoras expert Ian Fuller, as definitively being Corydoras Schultzei Black, from the German bred strain. So If I do have fry, I can ID them with confidence to my fellow hobbyists. :)

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:34 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Nice cories! I really didnt like them when at first in my girlfriends tank but over the couple years they have really grown on me.
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 pm
Level 4 Member

BanjoMinnow- My favorite tanks have always had cories of some flavor in them. Maybe I love them because I grew up with them. Still they never cease to bring a smile to my face as I watch their antics in the tank. They tend to suck you in after a while, especially if you keep them in a solidly numbered shoal.

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:08 am
RookieMistake Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Wow! I love cories and I've never seen these ones before. Just curious, how much did you pick them up for?

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Im usually not a fan of corys myself but these sure do look nice! Grats and gl with them.

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm
Level 4 Member

Thanks everyone. I got these from Aquabid- they were listed by the seller (incorrectly) as C. Venezuelan black. Before shipping, they were about 6$ a piece, which was a really great deal. They're doing fabulously well in their new home, putting on weight, and the girls are starting to round out a bit.

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:47 pm
Level 4 Member

Very excited to say that I saw some flirting going on with my schultzei Black when I came home today. No actual eggs yet, but the ladies are getting round, and the boys are showing some interest. Of course I started watching them, and they simmered back down again. :lol: Still it looks like a spawn may be in the future!

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:49 am
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Good luck with them showing interest hopefully they will spawn for ya. :)
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:43 pm
snow_vipr User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I been into Angelfish mostly and cory's for a while now. Angels have paired up and breed many times. But I have never had any cory cats pair up.
Any advice to get them to pair up and or lay eggs? Do you keep them in there own tank? with or without gravel?
Thank you in advance.

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:27 pm
hostadigger Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

do you remember the name of the guy on Aquabid that you gotthem from?

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers