Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Corydoras aeneus eggs

Corydoras aeneus eggs

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:37 pm
hamlet10 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Got another small batch of eggs. Trying with a little meth blue this time.

Post Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:30 pm
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Sometimes eggs fungus because they did not get fertilized. Before you try chemicals, use an airstone, keeping water churning over them works great for me. My last pull of Orange Venezuelans was a 75% hatch rate.

My method is pulling the eggs and putting them on the glass of a 5 gallon aquarium full of fresh RO water. I'll pull several batches of eggs. Once I get 20 or 30 fry swimming around I move to the next 5 gallon tank. Once they start growing out they get moved to 10 gallon tanks and separated by species. Have Duplicareus, Venezuelans, Pandas and pepper corys all in the same 5 (preview for the next club auction)

Get a culture of microworms started. Great first food and smaller than BBS.

Post Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:35 pm
hamlet10 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

meck3427 wrote:
Sometimes eggs fungus because they did not get fertilized. Before you try chemicals, use an airstone, keeping water churning over them works great for me. My last pull of Orange Venezuelans was a 75% hatch rate.

My method is pulling the eggs and putting them on the glass of a 5 gallon aquarium full of fresh RO water. I'll pull several batches of eggs. Once I get 20 or 30 fry swimming around I move to the next 5 gallon tank. Once they start growing out they get moved to 10 gallon tanks and separated by species. Have Duplicareus, Venezuelans, Pandas and pepper corys all in the same 5 (preview for the next club auction)

Get a culture of microworms started. Great first food and smaller than BBS.

Thanks! I’ve gotten some to hatch now ( just this morning). I put them in a breeder box with a tiny bit of meth blue and an air stone. I think that a lot of them just haven’t been fertilized until now, as my group is still pretty young.

Now that they’ve hatched, I’ve started circulating the main tank water thru the breeder box. I added a little sera micron to see if they will eat that, and put a big clump of Java moss in with them for cover and hopefully a few microorganism snacks.

What is funny is that in my main tank I’ve got two older fry that somehow managed to hatch and survive on their own. Hopefully I’ll get enough to BAP a decent group in a few months.

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:48 am
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Try using a credit card to scrape the eggs off the glass. Works well for Cory species that have particularly small eggs. Don't worry about the first batch of eggs getting fungus, more than likely not fertilized.

Previous

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers