Board index Fish Talk Catfish and Bottom Dwellers Albino Ancistrus having brown babies?

Albino Ancistrus having brown babies?

Catfish? Loaches? Stop in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am
TheTropics Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I've had two batches of fry (or more) from a pair of albino Ancistrus. There hasn't been an albino baby in the bunch. Every baby has been of the common brown coloration. I've been doing some reading about there being more than one albino loci for Ancistrus, but I wanted to check with MAS members to see how often you are encountering this.

These fish were bought at an MAS auction, so I can't believe that I'm the only one experiencing this. Anything you have to share will be most appreciated. Barry

willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

The literature does report two independent loci for albinism, but I haven't experienced this effect myself. Obvious your (ancistrus) gene pool is more diverse than mine.

Do both parents have pink eyes? There's also a separate leucocytic mutation that produces blue eyed lemon bushynoses.

Willie

meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Echoing Willie's comment, my 4 pair of albinos have never produced a brown fry. Your parents must carry both albino and brown genes. Would think in that case you'd get a mix of brown and albino. Strange.........

Found this post on planet catfish and thought you would be interested. No conclusions, but you're not the first person to have this happen.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13704

TheTropics Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

A while back (3-4 weeks I think) I added a third adult albino to the tank. Another female, which made the male doubly happy, and now I have a bunch of albino babies about half the size of the latest batch of brown babies. Lots of action in that tank.

meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Would have been better to remove the first female so you can get better data. No way to be 100% sure who he spawned with this time. Either way, always fun to have babies in the fish room.

Return to Catfish and Bottom Dwellers