Board index Fish Talk New World Cichlids Geophagus 'redhead Tapajos'

Geophagus 'redhead Tapajos'

South and Central American cichlids.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 pm
BigLefty User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have to combine fish from two different tanks, as I am going to get rid on one of my tanks. I have a 20 gal with some tetras (lemon tetras, serpae tetras, & Cardinal tetras) I also have 6 smaller Geophagus 'redhead Tapajos' and 4 Biotodoma Cupido currently in a 40 breeder. I am going to move the Geophagus & Cupido into a newly set up 75 gal to make room for fish I am moving into the 40. I am going to get rid of the 20 gal, which means I either need to get rid of the tetras or move them.

If I'm moving the tetras and the Geo's and Cupidos, Can I put the tetras with the 6 Geophagus & 4 Cupido into 75 gal together or will the Geophagus & Cupido be too aggressive? FYI, The Geos & Cupido are all approx 1 1/2" - 2"
Last edited by BigLefty on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

The red heads are not aggressive and should do fine with the tetras as both fish occupy different spaces of the tank.

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:12 pm
BigLefty User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Will it matter which fish I introduce to the tank first?

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

It really should make no difference. Good luck :D

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm
BigLefty User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks for your help/info. :D

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm
kaoher Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Geophagus tapajos are awesome I have a pair that has about 100 fry rite now

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 pm
BigLefty User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Nice. I got mine from Jeff Rapps, and they are just starting to color up.

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 pm
kaoher Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

That's nice but they do grow pretty slow tho. I'm sure you'll end up with at least two breeding pair and they make pretty good parents

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm
BigLefty User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

You are correct, they are growing slowly. I'm just starting to see the coloring. I didn't buy them for breeding, I got them because I thought they were kind of cool and my wife likes them. If they did breed though, that would be a bonus. In fact, I'm down sizing and getting rid of our 20 gallon, and when I presented my wife with different options, she said I could not get rid of the Geo's, which is why I was wondering if I could put the tetras in with the Geo's. If you think I will have a breeding pair, do you think they will breed even if it's not a species only tank? Again, it wasn't the purpose I got them, it would just be a bonus.

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 pm
kaoher Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Yes they will breed.. It seem like they will only breed when in a community tank .. They've never breed for me while in a tank alone .. Which I think is kinda weird.. And a lot of people say the same thing too.. So I'm pretty sure you'll get at lease 2 pairs if you have six now.. And by the way they do get very aggressive towards other tank mates when they get eggs and when they are holding

Return to New World Cichlids