Board index Fish Talk New World Cichlids My salvinis spawned.

My salvinis spawned.

South and Central American cichlids.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 am
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Holy cow did they spawn. I have never seen so many fry. 2 adults guarding them way in the back of the 180 where I have little chance of rescuing them from the other inhabitants. Can't even get a pic because they are so deep in the cover.

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:47 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Get hose of the correct length and siphon out fry into 5 gal bucket or larger.
Congrats.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 pm
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Can't.

They have them in the deepest darkest recesses of the driftwood. If you look at them funny they shoot into the shadows even further. I wanted to try that, but they are out of reach. Since I could not get to them, I put a boatload of fake plants in the back corner so they can hide from the rest of the fish once the parents give up on them to breed again. Not ideal, but in this case, it is all I can do unless I take the giant chunk of driftwood out and to be honest, I suspect that it has to weigh about 60 - 70 pounds by now with all of the water it has soaked up.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:44 pm
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

And now the other pair spawned. I assume that these ones will all get picked off as they are not the best parents. They parade them right through the school and every time one or two gets picked off.

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:42 pm
Level 20 Member

Mark K wrote:
And now the other pair spawned. I assume that these ones will all get picked off as they are not the best parents. They parade them right through the school and every time one or two gets picked off.

Should be easier to siphon.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:30 am
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

By the time I got the siphon out, they were gone. There were only about 20 left when I saw them. I think the original school may be still in the heavy stuff because the adults keep going back in there.

Post Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Level 20 Member

Trichromis salvini is usually quite territorial. They can and will kill fish twice their size. When caring for fry, the aggression escalates and most fish get the message, "do not swim with salvini". In some instances, the pair may suspect each other of harming the fry and kill their mate to protect the fry.

Best of luck Mark.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:06 pm
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

The aggression level of both pairs is quite low. This really surprised me. They make false charges and then go back to the baby area. They leave it to eat though. The second pair just led the fry through the open areas. If I moved wrong, they darted for cover. I have lots of that.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

...and my demasonis bred too. I can only confirm 2 survivors because I only saw them once they hit an inch.

Post Sat May 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Mark K Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I have a new batch. This one was not a surprise this time because they were defending the elk skull and I knew they were breeding in it. This time I saw the fry before the rest of the fish could reap the numbers down with drive bys. I scooped a few out and was happy, but afterwards saw that there were so many I had missed. I got the siphon out and hit them in the middle of the school and was surprised to see that they would clump together in a tight group to try to prevent getting sucked further up the tube. In the end I got so many that I was astounded at the numbers. There are still a bunch in the 180, but I figure I will let the parents have a token few to try to parade through the school of other fish. This time I put them in a 10 gallon instead of the 40 I put the previous batch in. The last batch all of a sudden disappeared and I finally figured out that when I set up the 40 that I put the wrong heater in it which was turned down all of the way. The correct one was at 79-80. Hopefully this time a few make it. If not, I will keep trying.

Return to New World Cichlids