Board index Fish Talk New World Cichlids Lent Pike Bonding tips?

Lent Pike Bonding tips?

South and Central American cichlids.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have a female who is about 16in and a male who is about 12in.
i have them in a 90g divided(looking for a 240g atm) i let the male out into the females area and they hide for awhile. i leave them be and come back to them fighting. the male has not really had a chance to stand his ground yet. the male i would guess being a year younger is smaller already even though males in pike species are usually a little smaller.
just wondering if anyone has any tips? so far ive been letting them out and fight then let the male heal up and get stronger
Mostly SA fishes

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:21 pm
jhelm User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

i have not tips for you, just a comment, wow a 16" female, i bet that an awesome fish
thanks,
Jon

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:18 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Under current situation, the pair will never bred. Females and males often test each other prior to breeding to determine if the other is worthy of a breeding effort. Sounds like male is not up to female standards at this time. However, there is another way.

A pair of cihlids spawning is based on stimuli from one partner to the next. If breeding is the goal then inducing breeding stimulus is sufficient, there is no need for pair to become compatible prior to a breeding event.

Leave divider in place. Place spawning sites close to divider and prime female for egg production. When her eggs are ready she will stimulate male by some unknown means and he will release milt as she lays eggs. Most cichlid milt is potent enough to travel some distance. Female will assist milt movement her body motions. Not saying they will breed but it is possible.

Of course in a non divided tank when a pair tests each other and each passes the test then odds are likely higher that breeding will commence.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:15 pm
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

not really looking to breed really just trying to have them bond so they dont try and murder eachother every night. sounds like i just need to keep beefing up the male more, thank you for the advice
Mostly SA fishes

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:45 am
Level 20 Member

My opinion is to place them together but in a divided tank. Build a solid divider. It may take time (months) but eventually they will tolerate each other whether they bred or not.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 pm
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

they are currently in that situation a 90g divided, but i need bigger. so i am fund raising and selling off old stuff for a new tank(8lx2wx2h) hoping that with more turf n hiding spots they may tolerate each other abit more. it seems its a rare tank or people just wanna hang on to them. Plan on putting a few pbass, my datnoid, n maybe a severum or something in there also maybe spread the aggression out the females ruthless.
Mostly SA fishes

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:52 am
Level 20 Member

Recently noted 96x24x24 for $1800 delivered on ebay
tempting
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 pm
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

1150 about with free shipping here http://www.customaquariums.com/s-4-all- ... sizes.aspx
just bare tank though
Mostly SA fishes

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 am
Level 20 Member

Krontra wrote:
1150 about with free shipping here http://www.customaquariums.com/s-4-all- ... sizes.aspx
just bare tank though

Looked at this site as I plan on purchasing a tank.
no holes drilled in tank, extra but no price quoted
glass tops are an additional $96
IMO, tempered glass for bottom make sense and maybe front and back too. Marineland and Aqueon make smaller tanks and they use tempered glass for bottom sheet.
Maybe go up to 3/4" for these 3 sheets instead of tempering to drill own holes upon arrival.
They definite make money on upgrades.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:29 am
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

true i never went into the specs yet. ughhh, bummer.
Mostly SA fishes

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 am
Level 20 Member

8 ft used acrylic tank is for sale on this forum for $750
Have you bought it yet?
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:18 am
Krontra User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

on it =] thanks
Mostly SA fishes

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am
mrmujtaba07 Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

For great bonding of lent pike there are many things like Habitat , tank type , fish food , decorrations and many more
but the foremost thing is the proper tank size that you must need to know in order to make sure good bondings between them
Mister Fish Keeper Fish Tank Sizes Full Guide

Return to New World Cichlids