Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:00 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Five little fishies - five P. subocellatus - are, as of this writing, on their way to me! I just accidently fell across them at Ted Judy's site. My jaw dropped to a) find some, b) find them so close to home, c) find them from someone I trust. I am super excited! While I would have been happy with any Pelvie - he has Super Reds and those things are gorgeous - these are the actual Pelvies that live with Congo tetras and Banded Bushfish in the wild. So my biotope-like tank will be more true!

Am about to pop I'm so excited!
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:15 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Do not let present tank inhabitant stress your new fish. New fish are extremely stressed already from shipping, they do not need more stress.

BTW, cute Pelvicachromis. I expect you will breed them and get them established in TC so we can all have some fun.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Awwwwww... Passionfish, there's nothing I can do about my other fish! :( I don't think the Pelvies will be bothered because the Banded Bushfish don't even know the Congo tetras are there. And the Congo tetras don't know the Banded Bushfish are there. So I think the Pelvies will be left alone. Also, the Pelvies will be the largest fish in the tank - I think. I don't actually know! LOL! I've no idea how old these fish are. I know they're young, but don't know how young. There are two morphs of P. subocellatus and I don't even know which these are. See the following. I didn't/don't care as they're so hard to find.

It would be my pleasure to breed these and supply everywhere with them. These are tank raised but getting P. subocellatus is difficult as it's not safe to import from the Congo area they come from. War and stuff like that. They're a little bit rare, hard to find. That's why I just couldn't believe there were some right next door! I'll do my best. I know I'd be thrilled to BAP them, that's for sure. Would be so proud. Hope my Banded Bushfish breed, too!

"Cute" is not a word I see Passionfish using. LOL!!! Thank you. I think all the short-nosed Pelvies are cute. I just love them to death.

I will do my best to keep the Pelvies calm, but there isn't much I can do...

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:39 pm
Level 20 Member

If you cannot remove other fish to 5 gal bucket with airline for 12-24 hours then provide Pelvicachromis with many caves and hiding places that other fish cannot access.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Hear that thumping? That's me beating my head against my computer desk.

You are a hard task master, but I'd have it no other way. Rather be right and do it correctly.

I'll see what I can do. Sheesh.

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 pm
Level 20 Member

It is all about the fish. Rest of World thinks we are crazy.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

How's this?

How's about I put some 40g tank water in the 20t tank with a heater and air hose? Will that makes us all happy?

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:02 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Five little flesh colored slivers arrived safe and sound, albeit chilled. I put them in a really small styro container, put that on the lid of the tank next to the (VERY warm) light with the heat pack at one end on the outside of the container. Added enough tank water so the water level was at least above their heads and let them sit for two hours. then added 1 cup tank water and again let them sit a couple hours. This wasn't keep them warm enough so I put them in the tank. The five flesh colored slivers are now BEAUTIFUL black and plum red fish!

The subocellati, as I call them, are doing well in the tank. All five are cruising the lower portion, three in one group, two in the other. I've watched them and, if anything, the Congo tetras are sticking to one corner of the tank. They're, the Pelvies, beautiful creatures in their subocellati colors and appear happy and unstressed. And warm.

I pray I can get fry from them.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

PS

Lite's off over tank and have been since I put the subocellati in. Will keep the lites off for awhile and let them just get used to the tank in the 'dark.' This should be much less stressful that those mean ol'bright lites.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 am
Level 20 Member

Sounds exciting. If images are available, do not be shy about showing off your babies.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:03 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Passionfish! Once I turn the lights on, I'll take pics. That should be tomorrow. I hope the chilling doesn't do them harm. I'll make sure xtra Aquawhatever (chlorine get-rid-of-er) is added to water Sat. That helps with their slime coat. X eyes, toes, fingers, limbs I can raise up some fry then these will not be so rare and hard to come by, which means good stuff for species.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

All I was told - but then I never asked what morph they were - was that they were "tank raised." That tells me they're not wild, but nothing else.

For me, I don't care. As long as I know they're a tank strain and can take the steps I feel appropriate for whichever way I want to go. I don't feel compelled to sell these as I would pure "Moanda" or "Matadi."

Thanks, Passionfish. Will try and understand the rules. Appreciate you posting them.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:01 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I am very happy with my Pelvies. I said earlier in this thread any ol'Pelvie would make me happy. I love my five little Pelvies very much and am happy they are swimming around in my tank. I just don't care to perpetuate them. I wish they were pure, they're not, I didn't think to ask, so there goes breeding them. But happy? Very happy. They are beautiful creatures and I'm not sorry I purchased them. They make me happy.

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:43 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Here's some poor pics. They were darker yesterday.

My biggest female:

I haven't had time yet to teach them to sit still. Aren't they pretty?!! My little subocellati! The first two are males. Notice how their nose is the plum red color. You can't see in these pics, but their front fins (???) are turquoise!! And they're irridescent.

Post Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:43 pm
Level 20 Member

Wow, nice fish.
Like a complete unknown

Next

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans