Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans Ocelli

Ocelli

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I have just right now this minute learned the spots on Pelvicachromis are properly called "ocelli." You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Very cool that, the name. Looks and sounds like (and it all makes sense) it comes from the same Latin word/root that ocular and oculus come from. That is so fun! When you know words you can figure out some pretty neat stuff! :D
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:48 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

What is difference between ocelli and maculatus?

There is maculatus, bimaculatus and trimaculatus. Do ocelli work like biocelli and triocelli or quadocelli or what is the story?
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:40 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Oh, lord, Passionfish! You gotta give me awhile to figure this out!

I do know that you're talking 'one,' 'two,' 'three,' and 'four' of maculatus and ocelli because of the prefixes. And I'll guess that in the case of ocelli, it's two ocelli, three ocelli and four ocelli, like you're counting the ocelli on the fin because I don't think ocelli "work." Like, "The fish's fins were quadocellic." Meaning there's four eye-looking things on the fin.

Maculatus... Hhhhhhmmmmm... Has something to do with the eye again, like "macular degeneration."

I'm taking a wild guess that ocelli deals with round, eye-like. And maculatus deals with something pupil-like. Like in a kalediscope? Maybe the the circle thing in the middle that gets bigger and smaller, depending on how you turn it, would be called a maculatus. But the only thing I can think of that would possibly have multiple pupils is a fly...

Maybe it just means 'eye.'

Oh! Would ocelli REFER to the eye and maculatus ACTUALLY be REGARDING the eye? Like you can't have ocellic degeneration and ocellic is referring to orb/eye-like, or something that works or looks like an eye. Maculatus is actual stuff that pertains to the eye-bulb! Huh?

How's that? How'd I do? Didn't look a thing up. Noodled it all.

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 am
Level 20 Member

Both maculatus and ocelli are words that have evolved from Latin.

Ocelli current meaning is small simple eye plural or many ocellus. Eye of jellyfish or other animals that do not rely upon vision for sensory input to extent of mammals may have ocellus. Second meaning is a replica of ocellus. An example is peacock with "ocelli" appearing on feathers.
Since ocelli is plural form of ocellus, words like biocelli or triocelli are non sense.

Maculatus means spot or stain. It is correct to state bimaculatus or trimaculatus.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Damn! Is there ANYTHING you don't know? All in all, I think I did not so bad a job just going off the latin I know from studying english and english word roots. Neat on the peacock thing. That's a fun fact to know!

A good lesson on the ocelli being plural. I can see how it would go now and it makes sense in latin. The qualifier would come first (or last) and a number. Ocelli plural, then you'd go "two ocelli" or "ocelli two" depending on how the language does it. Italian goes second, I think, so am thinking latin did too then.

Is there no maculati then? You know, the "i" like in ocelli? Or is there a biocellus, triocellus, etc.?

Fish should have as in a peacock, a maculati, then.

Am getting confused. Need to carry this further in person.

Did you already know that, or did you look it up? Damn! That was a good lesson in latin! I really liked it. It's like how a lot of times the fishes' latin name tells something about it. Say, an Oscar? Isn't it's name from ocelli or something like that?

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 am
Level 20 Member

I knew maculatus meant spot but did not know ocelli meant eyes or dummy eyes like on anal fin or peacock feathers. I also knew that ocelli is plural and was kidding you about biocelli or triocelli.

In the big picture, I have to learn everything (look it up). Up until the last few years, my memory was great but these days I am ashamed when I forget names of seldom seen friends.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:14 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Yep. That memory thing is a bummer. I've forgotten more than 1/2 of the fish stuff I learned years ago. And I used to know a whole lot more words but they don't seem to come to mind any longer. It's painful (I feel stupid) and embarrassing for the reason(s) you mentioned. I feel your pain.

Well, I bit (get it?!) on the fish ocelli, didn't I? :D Still, look at all we learned from one little fish dot on a fav fish of ours. Not only can old dogs (us) learn new tricks, but fishies can teach us! :D

So, what about the Oscar/ocelli thing? Isn't the first part of the Oscar ocelli something or other? Or oculus or something?

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:20 pm
Level 20 Member

Oscars are Astronotus ocellatus. The fish has a ringed spot on caudal peduncle in the wild. There are actually many fish with fake eye spots on caudal peduncle or there abouts. Biologists believe that this fake eye scares other from rear attacks. Just as ocellus on operculum can be flared out in an attempt to convince other fish they are approaching a bigger fish.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Two for ocelli! Can we find any more? I knew the Oscar had an ocellatus in there somewhere. I wonder, really, just how many fish do have ocelli/tus in their names. Probably a lot since the eye spot thing is fairly common. Can you think of any more, Passionfish? Anybody else?

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:24 am
Level 20 Member

exNeolamprologus ocellatus or "Lamprologus" ocellatus are popular. Native species have blue cast with males sporting yellow dorsal fin. Dealers and importers also sell a gold morph, very pretty, but this maybe native or it maybe an aquarium strain.

Pearly ocellatus is a trade name for "Lamprologus" stappersi or melagris
Black occellatus is a trade name for "Lamprologus" specious
Like a complete unknown

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans