Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Lake Victoria/Other Africans 'Kribs' and Subocellatus

'Kribs' and Subocellatus

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:47 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I was so tickled (!!!) to get three teeny-tiny, wee P. puchers yesterday at the auction. Really giggley. Sadly, I think one got too chilled and didn't make it through the night, tho I can't find the corpse. So maybe I speak prematurely. (shrugs shoulders)

I also got three little clay huts yesterday. THANKS to whomever put them up for auction! One is bigger than the other two. I really do not like things like this in an aquarium as it spoils the biotope esthetics for me. But whatcha gonna do when you've got a mated pair of Pelvies and you just bought a trio?

Guess who was peeking out of the largest hut this AM? :D Either Mr. or Mrs. subocellatus! Just like I wanted; I'd eyed that hut for them. Nice when a plan comes together! :D

The two wee pulchers were at the other end of the tank, as I wanted, near the two smaller huts. I still have to go to the hardware store to get some PVC joinings (Thanks, Chet!) for them. You can bet if I find terra cotta huts a might distasteful I'm really going to hate those stupid joinings in my tank! :D

I've got 4 (5?) pelvies!

I saw last night Mr. & Mrs. subocellatus bumping, what I think is, a female of the pulchers. She was not fazed by it one bit. But all three pulchers were a bit rocky from their long cold day. I sure hope I find that third pulcher... :?
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

P. subocellatus are beautiful when breeding. Best of luck.

Watch that P. subocellatus do not harm smaller P. pulcher as they may appear to be a threat to breeding P. subocellatus.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Right with you, Passionfish! I'm doing my best. We'll just see how it goes.

I am happy to say I still have three pulchers! :D Guess somebody just slept in this AM...

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Mr. subocellatus is now in the hut (Mrs. was in there) and is having like a... fit. Like a seizure. Shaking to beat the band. So, what's going on? Is he fertilizing eggs?

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:40 pm
Level 20 Member

Shimmering is a behavior to entice potential partners to spawn. The behavior tells potential partner that the other is ready.
If the male is not ready then female may not lay egs or if she lays eggs, fertilization may not occur.

Not sure why male is in the hut. Based on this information, it is unlikely spawning has occurred yet. Once eggs are laid and fertilized, female sits close to eggs and pushes male out to perimeter to do his job of protecting outer limits of pair's spawning territory. Perhaps a glance into hut with flashlight will provide more information.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Nah, Passionfish. Don't need a flashlight (which I don't have) yet. They're still playing around. They trade going in and out of the hut. But she's playing hard to get. She was ready first (coloration), then Mr. subocellatus colored up. Now she's leading him around the tank. Silly fish!

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:25 pm
Level 20 Member

The act of shimmering is not just to let prospective partners know that shimmering individual is ready to spawn. Potential mate that shimmers maybe testing the prospective mate.
Males test females to determine if the said male is the most attractive of all possible male mates. If male's shimmer fails to elicit any behavior from females, then male knows he has to step it up. Enhance his color, enlarge the breeding territory to fit female's needs, etc.
Females test males to determine if they are strong enough to defend breeding territory, provide protection for fry as they begin to swim in breeding territory, etc.

Cichlids are pretty robust and generally step up to meet demands of prospective mates. Yet in some cases, no breeding occurs because one of the prospective mates fails the test.
Cichlids do not think all these factors through, a score card is not kept. The balance is within the DNA. A test is more like pass/fail. If prospective mate fails, DNA expresses chemicals that cause fish to ignore the LOSER and reject prospective mate.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I never planned to breed. But with a pair, well... If they do I will be so excited. They're not new to each other, Passionfish. They've been together a year but have never had fry. As I said, if they don't have fry, it's okay with me as I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

It's just so fascinating to watch all they do. Their behavior is new to me and I can't help projecting. "He sneezed! They're mating!"

It's good to have folks like you around to tell me what's going on. That DNA stuff is fascinating. Do they do the pheromone thing?

They are such pretty fish and so fun. I enjoy them so much.

Return to Lake Victoria/Other Africans